Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having a problem with my iPhone 5, that started only recently. I press the home button to wake the phon, but the passcode screen will not react, until press the the wake/sleep button twice. After going through that proces it works fine.

I am having a problem with my iPhone 5c. when I press the home button to wake the phone, the touch screen will not react unless, I press the wake/sleep button twice. When I have done that it works fine. I have tried restart, reset, restore both from a backup and as anew phone, and nothing seems to make any difference.

Has anyone else struck this problem, or know of a solution.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:59 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Dais B

Hi Dais B,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

You mention that the Home button doesn't reliably wake your iPhone 5c, and you have to press the Sleep/Wake button before the Home button will work as expected. It looks like you've tried many good troubleshooting steps including restoring and setting up the iPhone as a new device.

Make sure to also check for dirt or debris around the Home button, and remove any case that might cover it (if applicable.)

According to Get help with buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, if the following test doesn't wake your iPhone 5c, you should contact Apple Support to set up service.

If the Home button doesn't work, follow these steps:

1. Press the Sleep/Wake button to lock the device.
  2. Wait a couple of seconds.
  3. Press the Home button. Your device should wake up.
  4. If device doesn't wake up, follow these steps. Test the Home button after each step.
  • Restart your device.
  • Check for debris or dirt around the Home button and clean it with a soft cloth.
  • Remove any protective film or case if it covers the Home button.

If the Home button still isn't waking the device, or if it's damaged, contact Apple Support to set up service.

Sincerely.

Aug 31, 2015 2:15 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy_v. I may not have explained the problem quite as clearly as I could have. The phone wakes when I press the home button, i.e the screen lights up, but the screen won't then respond correctly. Sometimes I am able to swipe the slider across, but it won't then react when I press the number buttons to enter the passcode. Other times it won't even react to the swiping the slide. As soon as I press the wake/sleep button twice it works fine. I tried turning off the passcode, but that doesn't improve the situation either. It has been suggested to me that it is a hardware problem with the main board, but if that is the case I believe that it would be more random than what it is.

ANy other suggestions, out there?

I am having a problem with my iPhone 5, that started only recently. I press the home button to wake the phon, but the passcode screen will not react, until press the the wake/sleep button twice. After going through that proces it works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.