Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple must know who is using my stolen iPad

My iPad was stolen and I reported it to both the police and Apple. Luckily I knew the serial number of the unit. As the unit was only IOS 6, Find My Phone was not installed. What I find hard to believe is that Apple, with all its technology and know-how, does not know who has re-registered the unit using a new Apple ID. it appears that Apple simply does not want to take on the responsibility of doing the right thing. Pretty shameful if you ask me.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 3:29 AM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Inlogiciel

Inlogiciel wrote:

What I find hard to believe is that Apple, with all its technology and know-how, does not know who has re-registered the unit using a new Apple ID. it appears that Apple simply does not want to take on the responsibility of doing the right thing. Pretty shameful if you ask me.

First of all you assuming the the device was activated again. Can you prove that? Second of all, Apple is not in the law enforcement business. That is why you report it to the police. Lastly, have you heard of Activation Lock? It was your choice to not update your iPad and that is your choice to make. However when you make that choice, you also choose to not install the latest security features which would have allowed you to lock your iPad and render it useless to a thief.

Sep 1, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Demo

Well, I doubt that the thief is using it for a bookend Demo. Why else would they steal it other than to activate and use it again? I did report it to the police but obviously they can't do much as Apple refuse to provide any information. As iOS 6 did not have an Activation Lock feature and was the most current iOS available at the time, there was no choice available. I know Apple is not in the police enforcement business and am not asking them to make an arrest or bust down someone's door, but some cooperation would be nice seeing as they have the relevant information.

Do you work for Apple perchance Demo?

Sep 1, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Inlogiciel

Inlogiciel wrote:

What I find hard to believe is that Apple, with all its technology and know-how, does not know who has re-registered the unit using a new Apple ID.

The thieves (or whoever they sold it to) would not need to put an Apple ID on it in order to use it. They would not need to register it with Apple. You are making an assumption that Apple has information they may not even have.

Sep 1, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Inlogiciel

if you give the police the IMEI they can get a warrant and get the carriers in your country to triangulate locate it by the IMEI

to be legal they would have to get warrant and the price of the whole deal would be much higher then the cost of a phone

they mostly use it to track missing persons

here you can read what happens when just the suspicion of apple tracking devices is aired

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/08/27000-south-korean-iphone-users-suing-apple -over-locationgate/

Apple must know who is using my stolen iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.