Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

90 gigs of music not showing up

hello...

I recently found an old 120 gig hard drive I had stashed away. When I connected it to my computer I found 2 folders on it. One labeled "Automatically add to iTunes" which is empty, the other one labeled "Music" contains a subset of typical iTunes folders as well as a handful of .dll files also. I've tried to restore the previous library database files I found (there are like 7) and it lists all the information and album art and everything but every track has an exclamation point. Normally I would assume that for whatever reason the music wasn't there but the size of this folder is 92.2 gigs and has over 34K files. I just can't see some dll files and album art eating up 92 gigs worth of data....Is it possible that there is NO music in those 90+ gigs, only track info and album art? I also know there was music on it when it got stashed in the back of the closet, so why can't I find it a few years later? I mean I could understand if it was corrupt, but then I wouldn't be able to access anything on the drive right? I'm at a loss and have exhausted my patience trying to figure it out myself, so I turn to the best place to find help, the community forums, and ask if anyone knows how to help...I appreciate any advice you might pass along....Thanks and have a great day!

lg A410-OTHER, Windows 7, null

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 3:42 AM

7 replies

Aug 30, 2015 4:20 AM in response to trickx_51

See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows and Make a split library portable. If your library was in the wrong shape then it might only work properly if the drive has the same drive letter it had when you made the library. There are ways to repair that as long as you actually track down the content. Not sure why you would have installed the application into the same set of folders as the library. Can you find any .mp3, .m4a, etc. files in Artist & Album folders? Perhaps the media is in some other folder on the drive, which would add to the non-portable theory.

tt2

Aug 30, 2015 5:25 PM in response to turingtest2

I tried both of those links but neither worked...I searched for both those phrases in support and was unable to find the article you were referring ....to be honest I'm not sure why it got installed there either...as far as mp3 files, when I first connected to the drive and installed iTunes I know I did see files in the few folders I opened up, but in trying to merge the libraries, I had either moved or copied current and the previous library files from the drive to both the desktop and to the iTunes folder, per the directions of an article I read on how to consolidate your library. I must of done something wrong though because iTunes wouldn't open back up, instead of just reinstalling iTunes I did a system restore and then reinstalled iTunes hoping anything I had changed would revert back. But now when I look for any mp3 etc files, I can't find them again, but I don't think they are completely gone though, because of how big the folder is. But could there really be 92 gigs of just data from folders and such? I guess yes it could but It just seems like an awful lot of bytes not to have any music files...? I mean without the meat of a mp3 etc, how many kb could album art and folders take up? I'm skeptical its 92 gigs worth....thanks for your help I do appreciate it greatly....🙂

Aug 31, 2015 3:25 AM in response to trickx_51

Try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows and Make a split library portable. Not sure why but occasionally Jive, the forum software, likes to make the links point back to the thread they are in instead of the intended target. You could also try checking the drive for errors using the standard Windows tools. There may be lost folders that you cannot navigate into, but are taking up all the used space.

tt2

Sep 1, 2015 9:19 PM in response to trickx_51

Ok so I changed all the permissions on the drive, and if I understood the other article about split libraries, I needed to move all the files from the iTunes music folder to the iTunes media folder.... itunes is not my normal media player, so when I First installed itunes I had changed where the media folder was stored so I could direct media monkey to monitor it. I put it on my external drive that's connected to my home network because I keep all my media on that drive so i can access it from any machine in the house. Normally I would disconnect the drive from the network to physically connect it to whatever computer the content I want to copy is on, but I wasn't sure if that would be wise after reading about breaking the library, my thought was that the file path would remain intact doing it over the network. so I'm currently copying those files over a wifi connection to a router with the connected drive and am about halfway done with slightly more than 16 hours to go....I didn't want the thread to get closed or have you think I abandoned the project. I hope to report back that I've gotten back all that music. ... Thanks for your help and patience 😊

Sep 18, 2015 2:20 AM in response to turingtest2

hello again....

I have given up on the recovering anything from the drive, I got frustrated and thought I should give a rest before I chucked it, my laptop and anything else on my desk out the window....

I do have another question though, if you wouldn't mind helping with also. I have an 5th gen ipod nano with music on it that IS NOT in my itunes library....a friend gave it to me and I would kinda like to keep some of the tunes she has on there, but I'm afraid to sync it because I've been told it will wipe it and put my library on it...

Now if it were a windows device I could simply take and copy the files directly from it and save them that way, but I'm not sure how to do it with an ipod because I can't seem to locate them via windows explorer. Or is it that maybe I can't find them because i don't have permission to even view them? how can I import some/all of her library into mine? I really appreciate your help thank you so much again!

K

90 gigs of music not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.