Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect my MacBook Pro to Speakers?

Hey,

I have MacBook Pro Mid 2015 15'

And a regular windows computer.

My regular computer is connected to 5.1 Logitech speakers and I want to know if there is an option to connect my Mac too.

But I don't want to disconnect them from the regular computer.

There is an option of connecting Aux cable to the regular computer and make it as output source to the speakers. but it will work only when both computers on.

If anyone have way to figure it out I will be grateful.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:11 AM

6 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:25 AM in response to NaorAbu

no problem, that's what we're here for...for each other

Apparently, your MacBook Pro 2015 uses a combi audio plug (headphone and mini optical output), so all you have to do is to buy a mini toslink/optical mini cable adapter and use that with your 5.1 logictech speakers. assuming you want to use the digital toslink optical input. If you have an SPDIF input free, then you'd have to get an adapter that takes regular toslink and converts it to SPDIF to go to your speakers. I'm also assuming that your regular computer is connected to the speakers via full-size toslink, and not spdif or analog 6 channel. If it's choice #2 then go ahead, you'll need the mini adapter plus a toslink cable anyways. If all you have available is the aux input on your speakers, you could get a headphone cable to 2 3.5 mm jacks then put 2 3.5 mm stereo splitter plugs on there, and plug a few 3.5 mm extension cables into the aux socket on your speakers

simple, isn't it? (well, not really)

JB

Aug 30, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Johnb-one

Well thanks, but you'r assuming is wrong.

My computer have 6 analog channels and the speakers connected by 3 - 3.5 mm cables.

I'm a bit confuse. I have toslink cable but I don't have any input neither my Mac or speakers. only at my computer (but seem useless)

So I did not understood any of your explanation with this cable.

Aug 30, 2015 12:52 PM in response to NaorAbu

okay thanks for the reply and your clarification

Your MacBook Pro has a combination audio output jack--headphones and optical (digital) mini toslink.those are your choices. IF you want digital audio out from your Mac, you'll have to get a mini Toslink / Optical Mini adapter, and a standard Toslink Cable. Shut Down your MacBook Pro, attach the mini adapter to one end of the Toslink Cable and plug it into the headphone jack of your MacBook Pro. Start your computer up. After it's running, plug one end of the Toslink adapter into the Digital Input on the back of your Logitech speakers, assuming that there is one. It should look something like a Capital Letter D lying on its back. Go to the Apple symbol at the top left of your screen, go to system preferences, then go to Sound. Change the sound output to Digital

rather than "Line Out" or "Internal Speakers". Play something. You should hear sound coming out of the speakers. If you have a set of Logitech speakers with the remote input box/volume knob, the one that's connected to the subwoofer by a large cable, then you would have to switch the input on that back to 2 or 3, whichever one the digital input is plugged into. The other one, which has an RCA jack on it, is SPDIF, not toslink. There are converters out there if you don't have enough inputs.

IF you look at the back of your Logitech Speakers and you see 3 -3.5mm sockets and nothing else, then you have 6 channel analog (no digital at all)

in that case, Diamond Multimedia makes an okay 6 channel analog external sound card which should work okay. you may be also able to get one from china that could work okay, maybe Mocha HIFI or HD rush...digital to analog converter . The problem is that 5.1 sound from your Mac requires more work especially for external hardware and the software needed to drive it, and the assumption is that "Well, 2 channel is good enough-they're Macs, and that'll work okay.

Dr. Lex (www.dr-lex.be ) has made an enabler which allows these basic boxes to work on Mac. as long as they have a certain chip in them, then this will work. these boxes might work over usb....

hopefully this helps....if not post here again and someone may help you. If you can, maybe a model number of your logitech speakers might help us-not all 5.1 speakers are the same....

JB

Sep 2, 2015 4:51 AM in response to Johnb-one

First I'm really appreciate you'r help, and I thank you so much.

But my speakers don't have any Toslink input.

My speakers model is Logitech X530.

I Don't mind it won't work 5.1, I'm ok with 2.1

I just want my speakers work with both computer without the need to disconnect them from computer to computer any time.

As I said there is option to connect the mac to the my other computer and use is as output. but its work only when the other computer is on.

And I'm looking for a option that I'm not disconnecting my speakers from my regular computer but still can use them from my Mac. and its ok for me to use it as 2.1, Its still better than my Mac speakers.

Sep 2, 2015 6:45 AM in response to NaorAbu

okay thanks for that--according to the picture I've just seen of the inputs on your X530, it should have a digital input, digital optical, right next to the 6 channel

analog inputs (green, yellow and black), there's also one labelled coax, which works, but that's another story for another day. get a mini toslink adapter, a digital optical cable with same end, plug mini adapter into mac, other end into input on speakers, set sound on mac to digitial out and play something on mac. It should work

IF I am wrong....then just get a couple of 3.55 mm splitter cables, plug them into the 6 channel inputs. one set of cables will come from your PC, the other set from your mac, which will do stereo (standard 3.55 mm, male one end, male the other one(). Plug that into the green input. If you want fake surround, get a 2 way 3.55 mm splitter cable, 2 3.55 stereo splitters, and 3-3.5mm audio cables (male on each end) . Plug the splitter cable into the headphone jack of your mac, then plug one splitter into one socket and the other splitter into the other socket. plug the 3 audio cables in, and run them to the split input on your X-530 speakers. that way, both your Mac and PC will be connected to your speakers and won't be disconnected

I'm done here

JB

How to connect my MacBook Pro to Speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.