Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup could not be completed

My iPhone 4S comes up with the above message whenever I try to back it up. I have more than enough storage space so I know that's not the problem. I've seen suggestions to delete the previous backup but I'm a bit nervous about doing that. I recently deleted some apps that I never use, maybe that caused the problem? I tried switching off the backup for those apps but nothing seems to work. Even if I try to backup to iTunes on my iMac, it just won't finish.

Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:39 AM

10 replies

Aug 31, 2015 7:32 AM in response to jontwinley

Hi there Jontwinley,

If I understand correctly you are being prompted that your phone could not be backed up to iCloud, nor can you seem to back it up to your computer. That would usually indicate that there is something with the phone preventing the backups since both backup routes are affected. I would start by quitting All the running apps on the phone:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

When you have done that force restart the device and test both backups again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

That should get your device backed up as you are trying to do. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Sep 2, 2015 4:41 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks for replying sterling r. I tried all you suggested but it has had no effect. It still won't finish the backup and says an error occurre, both backing up on iCloud and in iTunes.

I have had a thought though, my iCloud Photo Library, although nowhere near the storage limit for iCloud, is larger than the space available on my iPhone, as I set the setting to optimise the iPhone storage. Might this have something to do with it?

Also, I've had alerts pop up asking to confirm my Apple ID password

Sep 3, 2015 6:04 AM in response to jontwinley

Two possible problems.

1 Authentication failure

Recommend to reset password, make sure that you enter correctly when done.

If still a problem go to number 2

2. Backup corruption.

Go to settings- icloud- storage- manage storage and your backup.

Disable all back up options - turn them off.

Then attempt backup.

If succeeded turn on one at the time and try again.

If didn't succeed - delete old backup and try again.

Make sure also that device has some available space - I think it requires some, but Apple guys rewrote all the articles recently and new articles do not contain any info. It use to be about 100 Megs.

Sep 8, 2015 9:14 AM in response to jontwinley

If none of what I described helped, it is time to admit, that you will not be able to backup the phone, cause info is corrupted to a point of no return.

To get back to normal phone will have to be wiped, which is easy and only takes two minutes, but you need to try to extract as much info as you can.

Photos can be emailed, Contacts can be synced to icloud and so on.

iCloud backup could not be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.