Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't backup iPhone because of an unexpected error.

When I want to back up my iPhone with iTunes on my Mac iTunes tells me that a backup is not possible because of an error, no other explanation.
I've restarted my Mac and my iPhone, my iTunes is updated and I've tried it several times. I can't backup to iCloud because there are 45 GB on my phone and I don't have so much iCloud storage. It should however work through iTunes cause I have plenty of space on my external hard drive on which all my iTunes data are saved.
I'm thankful for any help.
Cheers.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:29 AM

From the Finder, choose Go > Go to folder. Type /var/db/lockdown and press Return. Choose View > as Icons. The Finder window should show one or more files with alphanumeric file names. In the Finder, choose Edit > Select all. Choose File > Move to Trash. You may need to enter an administrator password. Delete the files in the Lockdown folder but don't delete the Lockdown folder.

Restart, launch iTunes, try now.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 5:29 AM in response to freemxy

From the Finder, choose Go > Go to folder. Type /var/db/lockdown and press Return. Choose View > as Icons. The Finder window should show one or more files with alphanumeric file names. In the Finder, choose Edit > Select all. Choose File > Move to Trash. You may need to enter an administrator password. Delete the files in the Lockdown folder but don't delete the Lockdown folder.

Restart, launch iTunes, try now.

Aug 30, 2015 10:34 PM in response to freemxy

freemxy wrote:

When I want to back up my iPhone with iTunes on my Mac iTunes tells me that a backup is not possible because of an error, no other explanation.
I've restarted my Mac and my iPhone, my iTunes is updated and I've tried it several times. I can't backup to iCloud because there are 45 GB on my phone and I don't have so much iCloud storage. It should however work through iTunes cause I have plenty of space on my external hard drive on which all my iTunes data are saved.
I'm thankful for any help.
Cheers.

Although you are using an external drive for all your iTunes data, the iPhone backups still get written to this location, which is on your Mac's primary drive:

<your-username>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Hence you need enough free disk space on your Mac to write the 45 GB. Is there enough space for that?

iTunes can't backup iPhone because of an unexpected error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.