Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro (Mid 2010) POWER ISSUE

On my 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro (Mid 2010) when I first hit the power button, it just sits there. I hear my computer speakers come on, and then they shut off. Then if I hit the power button a second time, the computer will turn on. Just wondering if I need a new power supply. I looked inside and could not find a slot for a battery. Currently running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4

Memory: 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Final Cut Pro 7 user

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:18 AM

2 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:10 AM in response to steadicam9man

couldn't tell you about the power supply---maybe yes, maybe no, but first the simple things

reset smc. shut down computer, remove power cord, wait about a minute, plug in power cord, restart

zap pram, restart computer, hold down apple (cloverleaf) option, P and R Keys immediately, hold down for 3 bongs and let go

repair disk permissions might be helpful or not... there is a pram battery slot. unlike the previous ones, it's one of those "coin" shape batteries, a CR 2032 and it goes in positive side up. It's towards the back of the logic board towards the top. It may be behind a PCI card, slot 1 if you wanna get technical about it, which is usually where the graphics card sits

as for testing the power supply, I can't say for sure how to do that with software. Etrecheck is a name I've heard around here. I was thinking "multimeter"

but I've been known to be wrong....good luck to you

JB

Aug 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to steadicam9man

as johnbone said, there is a 3 volt coin-cell battery half-hidden behind the graphics card. On older Macs, strong decline from the original Voltage could preclude Startup.

The holder is quite delicate. To test in circuit, you must remove the AC power and wait a quarter minute, else you will be measuring the always-on power supply, not the battery.

Apple supplies a BR2032 battery which has a wider temperature range and lasts longer. CR2032 is an acceptable replacement, and is more widely available as it is less expensive. Both these batteries are used in car key fobs and garage door opener controls, so they are readily available.

3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro (Mid 2010) POWER ISSUE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.