Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c locking on its own

Hi all,

I have had an 16GB iPhone 5C for almost 2 years, have recently upgraded the software to IOS 8.4.

Have looked after it with a protective case, but in the last week it has started auto-locking on it's own. This has got worse as the days have progressed until now when I can not unlock it and navigate for more than a few minutes before it locks itself. The screen goes black and when I press the button tho get the lock screen up it captures a picture instead. On the odd occasion the phone has gone as far as switching itself off and telling me it needs charging before I can restart, when there is 28% battery left.

I have switched the Auto-Lock option in phone settings to 'Never' but it's made no difference. The phone has started locking during calls, cutting me off from people and doing the same when dialling cancelling the call.

At the end of my tether here and would really appreciate some advice.

Best Wishes

BekkaJ 😕

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:07 AM

On the surface it sounds to me that you either have a defective Wake/Sleep switch (based on the picture taking events) or alternatively the protective case is interfering with its use. I would first take it out of the case. Then do a reset. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Try it without the case and see. Post back and let us know. If you are still having issues there are more steps that can be taken, but lets start with the easiest. Good luck.

elcpu

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Bekkajaine

On the surface it sounds to me that you either have a defective Wake/Sleep switch (based on the picture taking events) or alternatively the protective case is interfering with its use. I would first take it out of the case. Then do a reset. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Try it without the case and see. Post back and let us know. If you are still having issues there are more steps that can be taken, but lets start with the easiest. Good luck.

elcpu

Aug 30, 2015 7:28 AM in response to elcpu

I had to tale mine out of the protective case because the phone itself is coming out of its own case? And this is my second one I have gotten. It is conststantly freezing and like BekkaJ said it locks on its own and I have to keep trying to get back in plus it freezes constantly and disconnects me from my wifi all the time? I am having so many problems with this phone I dint know what to do?

Aug 30, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Bekkajaine

Hi B, I am not convinced that it is a software issue. The way one takes a screenshot is to hold the Home and Sleep buttons on at the same time and since you are getting "pictures" by just pressing the Home button it sounds to me like a defective Wake/Sleep button.

Did you do the forced restart I recommend earlier? If not then please do it.

If you did and you want to exclude the software as an issue, you can do a Restore following the steps below. Do a backup as instructed (critical) and then follow the reset and restore steps. If it works it was software, if not very likely hardware.

Good luck, elcpu

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2015 10:24 AM in response to elcpu

Hey elcpu,

I tried the forced restart earlier this afternoon but it didn't work.

Have tried restoring to Factory Settings via iTunes but is telling me it is unable to do this either.

Not sure how much it will cost to get these issues fixed through Apple. As it's getting so close to the end of my contract and the phone is no longer fit for purpose I may have to go for a new handset instead :-(

B

Aug 30, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Bekkajaine

Hi B, don't give up just yet... 🙂

Could you be a bit more specific on what iTunes tells you about the Restore?

Were you able to do a backup from your phone to your computer through iTunes?

If the answer to the last one is Yes and you have a backup of your phone on iTunes, you can do the Restore from the phone itself.

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

This will erase your phone and install the latest iOS. Do not restore a backup from iCloud when asked. Then do the minimum manual setup need to evaluate the phone. If all appears well, restore your backup from iTunes and all your data and settings will come back.

Or alternatively you can just set your phone from scratch (better but more time consuming).

If you are in the US, exchanging your 5s at an Apple Store for another 5s (likely new but possibly refurbished) will cost you $269.

Aug 31, 2015 4:46 AM in response to elcpu

Morning all,

I tried once more to back it up and restore once I'd posted last night and it decided to do so. The auto locking was less apparent to begin and I thought it was fixed but it started increasing as the evening progressed. Not as bad as before but still something's not quite right.

The joy's of modern technology eh 😉 I'm over in the UK so will explore my options with the phone company and see what's available.

Beck

Aug 31, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Bekkajaine

The joy's of modern technology eh... I'm over in the UK so will explore my options with the phone company and see what's available.

You got that right... 🙂 If it is not one thing, it is another. Seems like I am always on a quest to fix something around here, last week it was a whole day with iTunes on my computer, mercifully fixed now. I am in Texas - used to love my business trips to the UK, a favourite country even though we did not stay loyal to the Crown, 😉 . Your phone, being a 5c, might be ready for an upgrade, Personally, I was never too keen on the 5c anyway. Toodle pip.

iPhone 5c locking on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.