Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

possible virus?

Iv been hacked through my skype account and an attempt was made to hack my email.. unfortunately I didnt realise at the time and opened one of the spam skype messages on my ipad skype app with redirected me to safari. the page didnt load but now im wondering if my ipad is infected. any advice would be much appreciated! 🙂

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:05 AM

7 replies

Aug 30, 2015 7:24 AM in response to lauraO1234

Laura,

You had a phishing attack, not a virus or a true hack. The "creep" was trying to get you to enter personal data on the Safari webpage and since you did not enter anything, nothing happened other than the inconvenience. To be on the safe side and delete any cookies that could have been planted I recommend the following.

Close Safari completely from the multitasking window by double clicking the Home button and swiping up the Safari preview pane up until it disappears from the screen. You may have to look for the Safari pane by swiping side to side as there may be other panes there from other apps. Then go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

Aug 30, 2015 7:33 AM in response to elcpu

thanks for your reply.. ive never heard of phishing before! my concern is that they tried to get into my email first, the activity shows many attempts from different countries to get in. The next day was when i got the messages appearing in my skype sent from me to contacts in my contact list. Also there was two contacts in my history that i did not know or add, though they did not appear in my true contact list. So what happened here.. they couldnt get into my email but managed to get into my skype? iv been on the skype forum and it appears that many people had the same skype messages appear but no one has mentioned anything about their email aswell.

Aug 30, 2015 7:34 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

thanks for your reply.. my concern is that they tried to get into my email first, the activity shows many attempts from different countries to get in. The next day was when i got the messages appearing in my skype sent from me to contacts in my contact list. Also there was two contacts in my history that i did not know or add, though they did not appear in my true contact list. So what happened here.. they couldnt get into my email but managed to get into my skype? iv been on the skype forum and it appears that many people had the same skype messages appear but no one has mentioned anything about their email aswell.

Aug 30, 2015 7:47 AM in response to lauraO1234

OK, go to your email account and change your PW as soon as you can. They could have gotten into your email account but not your iPad. Phishing is rather common these days, just google it. Do not open any links or really any emails from these creeps on your computer - on the iPad you have little to worry about if you followed the steps I mentioned earlier exactly as I listed them.

possible virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.