Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I saved my post-in-progress but now it's gone!

I saved my post-in-progress (or so I thought - it said "last saved" and time), but when I logged back in I can't find it! Do I misunderstand "saving"?

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:52 AM

16 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:06 AM in response to EleanorB

Okay, after rewriting the answer in my editor, and then hitting reply again to paste it in, NOW it says you have a saved version! Too late, I like my rewrite better. Not sure why it reported it later but not sooner — did I hit a subtly different reply button? (I've noticed that there are different reply buttons, reply to the last post or reply to the original post?)

Hmm, won't let me post this - says post limit reached, wait a few minutes!! (I had just posted my pasted-in answer on the subject forum.) Maybe I need to read the rule-book — is there one somewhere?

Eleanor

Aug 30, 2015 8:18 AM in response to EleanorB

Howdy Elanor

Apparently, one can only expect the auto-save feature to 'save' your unfinished reply to a specific post. You also cannot 'Actively' save a "Draft" because there is no [Save] button.

For example, if you were to begin to craft reply to bobseufert, then [Cancel] button, simply close the TAB/Window or Quit your browser - then later return to the thread - you would need to reply to the same post by bobseufert for the SiteWare to prompt you to insert the recovered saved post. If you were to return to the thread - then reply to me, yourself or another of Bob's posts, the SiteWare would ignore the 'auto-saved' posting - until you chose the original bobseufert post again for some reason.

All that said, I have seen the SiteWare fail to present me with a Restore option where I know that there should be one. I have also been presented with a Restore option when I know that it is not possible for there to be one because I never started one to begin with.

Most times, if you keep your postings "Short & Sweet", it will not likely be a huge problem to lose the post. If you have a long Story to tell, copy the text to an external App like TextEdit just in case.

It seems that you are talking about a a Reply - not an New Discussion Question => THAT is another story altogether - I cannot imagine even how auto-save could work under those circumstances, even though the SiteWare is saying to you " Your content was last auto-saved at 9:53 AM " - where? How does one return to it for the saved version?

buenos dias

ÇÇÇ

Aug 30, 2015 8:21 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Well, I am glad to hear that it's not a perfect system and didn't just pick on me! However, that said, I think that I clicked the same Reply button both times (Reply to a post, not a new post), so I guess there's just a certain randomness. Should be no surprise, and as you say it's just common sense to draft these complicated answers in a local file and then copy it in. Thanks for your prompt attention to my problem! Eleanor

Aug 30, 2015 10:24 AM in response to turingtest2

Agree, 100%.

I have found that I am presented with Restore/Delete when I least expect it - and when I do expect it, and need for it to be there, "hit & miss" seems to describe it best.

Still puzzled by the auto-save in New Question page - it Could be done > Saved somehow to your Apple ID's discussion message database, but I cannot figure out IF that is the case - varied attempts at doing so have been fruitless. Seemed most logical that a 'temporary' thread save would need either a "Title" (which one could remember, I suppose) or be assigned a "Number" at first auto-save (this thread is 7195458)

I stumbled across a JiveWare 'topology' diagram the other day - didn't look that complicated although it did have several databases 'talking' amongst themselves.

Murphy's Law?

Aug 30, 2015 10:25 AM in response to wuley

Thanks for these contributions! In my case, it was a long and complicated reply, so I should never have trusted (any) system to preserve it. What happened was, first I was logged off by the system for inactivity. When I returned and logged in again, I didn't see my started reply. Then I posted here, and got the suggestion to click reply, which I had done and see nothing about a saved item. Then I redid my reply offline, and when I came to paste it in, there was the message about using my previous version. I clicked it and, sure enough, there it was! By that time I liked my rewritten version better. Just wanted to set the record straight. But I'm voting for random events in this matter.

Eleanor

Aug 30, 2015 10:39 AM in response to EleanorB

you would be voting with the majority - random events is merely a new term - our friend bobseufert coined the phrase "glitch du jour" - my favorite.

you say that you were crafting a Reply when you were logged out? There is a fail safe for login state = an open reply session!! The only way that login could time in that case is if there was spotty connection with the Apple servers - THAT is indeed likely as it happens all the time and we don't notice.

we all have learned our lesson about long posts - you are now a club member! 😎

Aug 30, 2015 12:02 PM in response to EleanorB

We owe this little trick to turingtest2...

1. Login
  2. navigate to any thread
  3. reply to any post - opening the editor pane
  4. do nothing else
  5. do not close the TAB or Window
  6. browse anywhere you like and the unattended 'open' reply will reset the timer for login timeout every ±20 minutes.

The normal login timeoutLength is ±30 minutes = room to spare - under normal circumstances, any navigation in ASC resets the timer to +30 minutes on each page navigation action

If you are using a Mac, the same effect can be achieved with a "TAB reloader" add-on to your browser - I set mine to 20 minutes

SafariTabReloader

ReloadEvery: "Reload web pages automatically" < Firefox

Reloaders | Cerberus - Support Center < a list of more including the above

*NOTE: IF the problem is connection to the server, even these will fail - don't assume that any connection failure is your fault in any way

I saved my post-in-progress but now it's gone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.