Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest user on Mac book Air

When i log-in to my Mac Book Air there are two option me and guest user, which is worrying as I'm not aware that anyone else has access to my laptop. how can i delete the guest user access?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 8:26 AM

OS X Yosemite: Set up users on your Mac

guest user: Guest users can use your computer temporarily without you having to add them as individual users. You can set restrictions guests can access only the items you want to share. Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but this folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out. The guest account works with the Find My Mac feature of iCloud, which can help you find your Mac if you lose it. You can locate your Mac if someone finds it, logs in as a guest, then uses Safari to access the Internet.

Guests:
Don’t need a password to log in

Can’t change user or computer settings

Can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned on in Sharing preferences

Seems like a secure setup, in theory.

ÇÇÇ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 8:26 AM in response to ilonafromlondon

OS X Yosemite: Set up users on your Mac

guest user: Guest users can use your computer temporarily without you having to add them as individual users. You can set restrictions guests can access only the items you want to share. Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but this folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out. The guest account works with the Find My Mac feature of iCloud, which can help you find your Mac if you lose it. You can locate your Mac if someone finds it, logs in as a guest, then uses Safari to access the Internet.

Guests:
Don’t need a password to log in

Can’t change user or computer settings

Can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned on in Sharing preferences

Seems like a secure setup, in theory.

ÇÇÇ

Aug 30, 2015 9:16 AM in response to ilonafromlondon

There are two guest accounts, not related to each other.

One is the Guest account that you enable or disable in the Users & Groups preference pane.

The other is the "Guest User" pseudo-account that is enabled automatically when you activate "Find My Mac" in the iCloud preference pane. This is not a real account, but a Recovery mode in which Safari is the only available application. The idea is to allow a thief who steals your computer to surf the Web so he'll stay online and give you time to locate the device.

When "Find My Mac" or Filevault is active, the first guest account is automatically disabled and can't be re-enabled.

Guest user on Mac book Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.