Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos in 'All Photos' folder but keep those in my iCloud (iOS 8)?

I Want to free up my iphone's storage by deleting a bunch of photos but want to keep them in my iCloud. Previously I just delete it from camera roll, but now (iOS 8) does not have Camera roll anymore. If I delete from 'All Photos' folder, thoses photos will also be deleted from my iCloud.

ANy idea how to do that? If not, why Apple did it (removing camera roll)?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:38 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:50 AM in response to elcpu

HI elcpu

thank you for your reply, but it was not addressing my question. I know that once I activated icloud photo library, the camera roll and photo stream will be 'merged'. But in the same time I can not delete my photo in my iphone without deleting the photo in my icloud library. I bought icloud space, and want to retain all my photo in the cloud, but if i deete photos in my iphone, the photos in the cloud will also be deleted. What is the point I bought icloud space?

so, my question is: how to delete photo in my iphone without deleting tho photos in my icloud library.

Hope this clarify my problem.

Once again thanks!

Sep 2, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Bumperdragon239

Hi Bumper, my comments in blue below:

HI elcpu

thank you for your reply, but it was not addressing my question. I know that once I activated icloud photo library, the camera roll and photo stream will be 'merged'. But in the same time I can not delete my photo in my iphone without deleting the photo in my icloud library. That is true. The article I linked in my previous post states: "When you delete a photo or video from your Photos app, it will also delete from your iCloud Photo Library and iCloud storage. You can recover your photos and videos from the Recently Deleted album for 30 days."

I bought icloud space, and want to retain all my photo in the cloud, but if i delete photos in my iphone, the photos in the cloud will also be deleted. What is the point I bought icloud space? That is the way Apple engineers designed iCloud Photo Library. The purpose was to share all your photos across all your devices without the need to download them to each. It does not work the same as DropBox or PhotoBucket where one is independent of the other. You might want to consider those options if your desire is just to keep photos on the cloud and accessing them manually, not automatically. Here is a different Apple article that may answer your questions.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

In particular, look at the section on: Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device? "If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them."

so, my question is: how to delete photo in my iphone without deleting tho photos in my icloud library. Unfortunately the answer is you cannot, not a feature of iCloud P. L. As I mentioned, other 3rd party cloud storage may work better for you if that is what you want, the drawback being that you would have to download the photos each time you want to look at them on any device.

Hope this clarify my problem. Yes it did, thanks....

Once again thanks! My pleasure. Not the answer you wanted perhaps but hopefully it will clarify what iCloud P.L. can do. I suggest reading the FAQ in detail, I think they will explain what can and cannot be done with iCloud P. L.

Good luck...

How to delete photos in 'All Photos' folder but keep those in my iCloud (iOS 8)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.