Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I defrag my hard disk?

I have an old (2008) macbook running OS 10.7.5. It's old i know but it's a workhorse and I love it but it's sometimes very slow. I hvae 4 gigs of ram in it. Is there any way to speed it up? I've run repair disk permissions and verify disk, but still is very slow. Could there be a virus or something lurking on my computer or can it be optimized somehow?

Thanks

MacBook, iOS 7.0.5

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:32 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 8:25 AM in response to renekmust

You are not likely to have a virus, just an old machine with a hard drive that is significantly slower than the current generation. The Mac OS X system handles files on the storage in a way that does not need defragmentation. If you feel such is required, a program like Disk Warrior is a viable option, though there is not going to be a huge increase in speed.

To clean things up, another approach is an external hard drive, backup the internal drive contents, erase the internal drive, then restore the backup to the internal drive. That cleans up any empty spaces and forces all files to be contiguous.

how do I defrag my hard disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.