Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I put my photo's libriary on my external hard disk (WD my cloud)?

I bought an external disk (Western Digital My Cloud) to put my photo library on because my Imac is getting full. When I try to put my libriary on this disk, it doenst't work because it says it is an reading only disk. Can somebody help me with this problem?

iMac

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 9:09 AM

7 replies

Aug 30, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Kelebek48

Please post a screenshot of the Disk Utility window with your WD drive highlighted; I have never seen a WD drive that was truly pre-formatted for Macs, especially since the drive is compatible with both Windows and Macs and the user manual is certainly Windows centric (pages and pages of instructions for Windows with a very short mention of Time Machine somewhere).

Sep 2, 2015 2:17 PM in response to babowa

I already found it, you are right. It is now as only reading formatted. Ok, new problem, I want to format the disk from NTFS to EXFAT (this was advised to me by a sales person in the shop). But when I go to the right program to do this, I don't have the option to format the disk.... 😠 I see the disk, but no option to reformat....

(I hope I explained correctly)

Sep 2, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Kelebek48

You can put your Photos library on any external disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

However, that MyCloud is not an external disk. It's a NAS - or networked attached storage. Essentially it's a headless computer with its own OS. Basically, you're trying to put a Mac database ona Linux computer. If you reforma the disk then you'll destroy it's NAS capability, and make it a very over-priced external disk.

Sep 3, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Kelebek48

Oen the Disk Utility, create a disk image formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on that drive, and store your library on the image.

A network drive won't appear in the Disk Utility's sidebar, and therefore can't be reformatted from it. They can only be erased or reformatted from a utility specifically designed for them, and those are typically limited in the formats they offer.

(132753)

why can't I put my photo's libriary on my external hard disk (WD my cloud)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.