Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac itunes ratings change during sync

It's been a while since I worked with my music smart playlists and I now find that the playlists were grossly in error. I spent hours updating all my ratings only to find that after I synced to my iPod the songs in the smart playlists based on ratings still weren't right. When I went back to iTunes I found that most of the ratings had been changed. And they were NOT changed to the album ratings. After several iterations and staying up until the wee hours of the morning, I finally concluded that the change occurred during the sync. The changes were consistent -- the same songs were changed to the same new ratings multiple times. Some songs with 1 star were changed to 5 even if the album rating was non existent or 3. Others were changed from 5 to 1.

This sounds like a bug and makes the smart playlists totally unusable. Is there a work or fix out there? Some box I need to uncheck in iTunes? I've looked through the preferences and don't see anything.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:29 AM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 6:23 AM in response to leslie02

Tried resetting all songs in my library that already had a rating to a rating to 1. After synching, I end up with a long list of songs with a rating of 2 or higher. So this is definitely a bug. At first I thought iTunes might just be assigning existing ratings to the wrong song, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Mac itunes ratings change during sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.