Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homesharing does not work iTunes 12.2.2

I realize that this is probably a question that has been posed before repeatedly. My issue is a little different from those I have read. I'm trying to use Homesharing on iTunes 12.2.2.25. I have two Windows 10 machines each running that version. Homesharing is turned on for both machines. They are both connected to the same wireless network (a router I recently restarted to ensure that wasn't the issue).

In the upper left, just under the menu bar, are the little icons for music (eighth notes), movies, TV shows, etc. I click on the 3 dots next to them and get a drop-down menu that lists several other items with checkboxes next to them. The Homesharing icon is at the bottom of the list (the little house with the note inside). It is checked, but it DOES NOT appear when the drop menu is gone. When I click the checkboxes next to each of the other icons, they appear in that bar. Not so with the Homesharing icon. It does not appear and, as I understand, I need that icon to appear to access libraries on other computers.

Interestingly, I just checked my MBP running Yosemite and the same version of iTunes (12.2.2.25) and it suffers from the same problem. So this is clearly an iTunes issue as opposed to something having to do with the OS.

Anyone know the solution? Much appreciated!

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 9:47 AM

9 replies

Aug 31, 2015 9:56 AM in response to JWKanvik

Hi JWKanvik,

It sounds like you are having an issue with Home Sharing not functioning correctly between the computers on your network. Your description is much appreciated. I was wondering one thing, since you do not mention it, are all of your computers set up for Home Sharing with the same Apple ID and password? See this article - Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices on your home network. Specifically the section titled First, turn on Home Sharing in iTunes.

If that is set up correctly, I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article - Get help with Home Sharing.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

Sep 1, 2015 2:45 AM in response to JWKanvik

I have this problem too.

home sharing appears on windows 8.1
but not on my new laptop with windows 10

i can access home sharing on my OLD laptop and see the music from my NEW laptop
but i cant get home sharing on my NEW laptop, to get music from my OLD laptop.

the connection is there, but the new laptop home sharing (the house with the note icon) wont appear on the up to date itunes on my NEW laptop

Same as the main person
"In the upper left, just under the menu bar, are the little icons for music (eighth notes), movies, TV shows, etc. I click on the 3 dots next to them and get a drop-down menu that lists several other items with checkboxes next to them. The Homesharing icon is at the bottom of the list (the little house with the note inside). It is checked, but it DOES NOT appear when the drop menu is gone. When I click the checkboxes next to each of the other icons, they appear in that bar. Not so with the Homesharing icon. It does not appear and, as I understand, I need that icon to appear to access libraries on other computers."

Please help.

Sep 1, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Brett L

Neither of these solutions work, this is the site i looked at to figure out how to get the music n the first place, the information is there, but there is a clear disconnect with the actual attempt to access home sharing icon (house with the note inside) on windows 10 itunes 12.2.2 etc

please if you could help some how itd be great <3
with windows 10, its just that the icon wont show up and become accessible on the windows 10 side of things

theres nothing wron with itunes, theres nothing wrong

Sep 1, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Brett L

Brett, yes, the computers are logged in to Homesharing and it is the same Apple ID. On the laptop, I uninstalled the wifi adapter and restarted, allowing plug n' play to find it and install a driver. Homesharing was back (as was Airplay).

Windows installed updates and rebooted. Now the Homesharing is gone (as is Airplay). Curiously, I can connect to the library via Remote on my iPhone, but it will only play through the computer speakers (and there's no Airplay icon on the iPhone, either).

So I don't know what the issue is. It seems to have started with Windows 8, so I'm guessing that iTunes is not truly compatible with Windows 8 and later. It would be nice if Apple would fix this functionality.

Dec 9, 2015 10:52 AM in response to JWKanvik

I have exactly this same problem with a Windows 10 laptop and iTunes 12.3.1.23. The Shared Libraries icon will not show up at the top left of iTunes, even though the box is checked in the "Edit" list. I have followed all the steps in the Troubleshooting Home Sharing and nothing helped. I do not see any shared music on my iPad nor my iPhone.

Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Dec 26, 2015 7:58 PM in response to bauerej

I had the same symptoms. I got it to work once by uninstalling the wifi driver, rebooting and when windows re-installed the driver, I was able to open iTunes and see the Mac Mini iTunes library (as well as see my windows library on my Apple TV). But the next reboot erased this functionality. I'm not sure if this is a bug/incompatibility with iTunes 12.3.2.35 or with Windows 10. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Dec 27, 2015 12:56 PM in response to bauerej

OK, the Bluetooth thing didn't work (for the scripting either). It seems like cycling the WiFi adapter causes home sharing to work once, then not after iTunes is restarted. I did some more digging and found that disabling IPv6 for the wireless connection causes home sharing to work (even after shutting down and restarting iTunes). Still no joy for the scripting error, though.

Homesharing does not work iTunes 12.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.