Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X Musical Typing doesn't work

I've reviewed previous messages, checked "plist" through Finder ("Logic10" doesn't exist in library), set "bypass all control surfaces" in control surfaces... nothing. Musical typing does not work.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:37 AM

11 replies

Aug 30, 2015 12:13 PM in response to scjvoice

scjvoice wrote:

I've reviewed previous messages, checked "plist" through Finder ("Logic10" doesn't exist in library), set "bypass all control surfaces" in control surfaces... nothing. Musical typing does not work.

The Plist does exist.. it has to.. You are simply looking in the wrong location....

Follow these instructions to the letter....

To delete the user preferences, do the following:

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro X
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro X User Manual for details on how to do this.
  6. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro X, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find any of the files listed above, you didn’t follow the instruction correctly! 🙂

Note: Musical Typing works perfectly fine with 10.2 on all my testbed systems here.....

Aug 30, 2015 1:52 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

I've searched again for the com.apple.logic10.plist, can't find it. Rebooted and I tried again, several times, but the music keyboard does not respond to my wireless Apple QWERTY keyboard or Magic Mouse. When I open Musical Typing and strike the QWERTY keyboard, it only affects the DAW (expands tracks, sets track parameters, etc.) as if the music keyboard did not exist. I have no doubt there is a setting somewhere that will correct this problem, but I'm at a loss to find it and the LogicPro X user guide provides no answers.

Aug 30, 2015 4:12 PM in response to scjvoice

Your screenshot didn't come through..

Please try again using the camera icon in the reply window to upload and show the screenshot...

Note: Unless something is seriously wrong with your System drive that plist has to exist as it is created when you first launch LPX and is created each time you startv LPx if it is not present...

So, take a screenshot of the entire finder window showing the path please....

Sep 1, 2015 1:42 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you for sticking with me. Found the Logic10.plist(s) you referenced. Deleted it and all the subsequent Logic10.plists

I also deleted the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file, rebooted, Musical Typing still doesn't work.

I open "Musical Typing" and the keyboard appears, but the "A" key on my computer keyboard only opens the "Track" function and the "S" key opens the solo function. Neither activate the musical keyboard keys, nor does the mouse.

Under "Control Surfaces" I selected "Bypass all control surfaces".... with and without, no difference.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Sep 1, 2015 2:33 PM in response to scjvoice

Deleted it and all the subsequent Logic10.plists

What other subsequent plists?

There should only be one plus the CS file....

Never delete anything unless you fully understand the consequences...

Did you ensure Logic was not running when you deleted the two files?

If so, what external devices/controllers/keyboards do you have connected to your Mac?

The Musical Typing Keyboard is working fine on all my testbed 10.10.5 and 10.2 systems here so it's likely to be something specific to your setup rather than any kind of bug.. It's just a matter of identifying what that is...

Other thoughts...

Have you tested this with a brand new blank project? (To ensure it isn't a project specific issue)

Have you quit (not just closed or minimized) ALL background and foreground apps when running LPX?

Logic Pro X Musical Typing doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.