Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motherboard replacement for MacPro 2008

I have a MacPro 2008 that was struck by lightning via the ethernet. Now the ethernet port will not work. Little other things keeping happening, like the serial numbers of programs are being deleted.

I e-mailed MacMall and Other World Computing and neither one will work on it. They say it needs a motherboard to replace the ethernet & the part has been discontinued. Not worth the price of the motherboard on such an old computer even if they had one.

I need a statement from someone saying it would not be worth repairing for my homeowners insurance. Otherwise they won't pay for the damage and replace it.

Can anyone help me please.

Nikki

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:49 AM

I would try to find a used 2009 or later silver tower Mac Pro unless you can get a very good deal on a used logic board for a 2008 Mac Pro.

It is a lot of work to replace a logic board.

13 replies

Aug 30, 2015 11:13 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Insurance generally covers the depreciated cost, unless you have unusual coverage (for which you pay an extra premium). They will not buy you a new computer to replace a dead used computer.

You could ask at your Apple Store for a quote on a comparable motherboard replacement. (even if they won't service yours, they should know the price of a comparable repair.) That price will likely be higher than the cost of a used computer, so Insurance will pay you the lower amount, whichever that is, and ask you to turn over your dead chassis to them for savage/scrap (so that you don't take advantage of them). You may be able to "buy back" the dead chassis for some amount -- they do not know what amount that should be, but dead computers on eBay go for next-to-nothing, if they move at all.

No one needs to certify in blood that something is "not worth repair" -- anyone can see that if a reasonably-derived repair cost exceeds the 'replacement with used' cost, it is not worth the repair.

Determining the actual values of these things is all the job of the adjuster working on your case. If they are asking you to do this work, it indicates they either have no idea how to determine the value of computers and computer repairs, or that they are hoping you will "low-ball" the amount of money involved due to your inexperience.

Aug 30, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I do realize everyone on this forum is a computer user just like me. I was asking if you knew anyone or company that would fix my computer or diagnose it so I can get a statement to my insurance company. I have tried MacMall & Other World Computing and they both said it is not worth fixing. I wasn't asking anyone to do anything illegal.

Aug 30, 2015 12:09 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

My insurance company is having me do all the research and give them replacement costs. Anything over $500 needs to have a diagnostic statement to be able to replace it. Anything under, I need to give them a price of replacements and be able to back it up with websites of where I can buy it for that amount. My policy is replacement costs, not the cost of the item. Most of my stuff is over 5 years old and under $500 except for my A/C and 2 HDTVs. Had Geek Squad diagnose them and they said they can not be fixed. They were hit by a lightning surge in my house.

Nikki

Aug 30, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Nikki P

The adjuster's job is to come up with a reasonable way to proceed. Arbitrary rules about stuff like "over $500 requires a written statement of unrepairability" are just roadblocks to delay your claim while trying to keep you from cheating. The reality is that these guys have tremendous latitude in what they can allow, and if you make a reasonable case baked up by any sliver of truth, they have very few ways to refute it.

Make what reasonable assertions you can, and then you are done. Apple's price for a comparable repair is probably the highest you will get. But Apple uses fixed price, while most others will quote time and materials, and if it takes longer, others will charge you even more.

If you take your Mac to an appointment at the genius Bar, they will evaluate it for you, free. In warranty or out. Ask them to tell you worst case what it might cost IF they could fix it, and tell them you need this for insurance, and they will probably add a few notes to the diagnosis sheet for you and be done. If the Insurance company wants more, they are free to do the work themselves (they sometimes do). But your claim is small and simple compared to a fire that burned down half a house and all its belongings.

Just do the best you can.

Aug 30, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Nikki P

You would have needed to follow a best case scenario using certified UPS equipment from a company like APC or Cyberpower such that the modem, router, coax-out from router were fully surge protected and grounded - first. APC can in some cases offer up to $25k for properly protected equipment. Line Conditioner, UPS and thgen peraps a surge protector or 2nd (smaller) UPS for modem etc and peripherals. THEN you might have a case.

If this is a once-in-1-- year event, otherwise I would invest in proper equipment now before installing and using any other equipment.

A close near-by lightning strike may damage and send a current thru equipment (like a strike that hit tree 100 ft on property next door) that no UPS/LC can protect against.

http://www.apc.com - check their knowledge base library and FAQ

Aug 30, 2015 1:43 PM in response to The hatter

My husband has a APC battery backup and surge protector on the tower. BUT it came in through the ethernet cable. The modem was also on the backup surge protector but it still zapped the modem through the cable and anything it was attached to. I had the electric company come out to check my house and he said the lightning hit the ground and then came in through the coax cable. Nothing I could have done or didn't do.

I e-mailed our electric company and asked it they had a whole house surge protector. They used to sell one but have discontinued selling them. Told me to shop for one myself.

But just to be clear, even if I had had the whole house surge protector, it still wouldn't have helped. It hit the yard and came in through the cable in the ground.

Nikki

Aug 30, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Allan Eckert

MacMall or Other World Computing did not send me a statement, just an e-mail. I will ask my insurance agent and find out if that will be enough. I have already written her and will wait to hear on Monday. I am suppose to have a diagnostic done on anything over $500 and this computer was over $5000 when we bought it in 2008.

Nikki

Motherboard replacement for MacPro 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.