Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm creating a map with a x/y diagram. Now i want to name the points...

I'm creating a map with a x/y diagram. Now i want to name the points, but Numbers creates a sum of all names for each point. How to fix it?

The chart:

Name X Y

Donad

Gas

Poladra

Kristall

Neyg 4

Metall

Theathin

Gas

The result:
User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4.1, German version of OS / Numbers

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:45 PM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2015 11:29 PM in response to vlm54

Hi vlm,

It looks like Numbers is treating all four values as belonging to the same "series", and giving them common labels. Try using a separate column for each y value. Numbers will interpret this as a different series for each of these values, which may lead to separation of the labels.

I'm running Numbers '09 (Numbers v2), which does not appear to support this type of labelling for individual data points, but it does tag each data point with a different series label when I arrange the data this way.

User uploaded file

Note that the labels in the legend are being retrieved from the column headers, not the row headers.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 30, 2015 11:46 PM in response to Barry

thx for quick answer.
My table has to be used by others, so your way is too complicated. And the values for x/y are extracted from a link like this:

gofa://1004/planets/300/450/Nynir4and there are much more positons on map.

I think its a bug from Numbers. Open Office can do it in my way, perhaps Excel too. But i have ti use Numbers.
How to get a ticket from support?

Anyway, thank you

vlm, viva la musica!

Aug 31, 2015 2:40 PM in response to vlm54

Hi vlm,

The complications might be handled by transferring the data from the entry table (in the format/layout in your example) to a second table used to feed the x/y chart. The transfer could be continuous, using a formula, or via a script, requiring the used to trigger the script with a menu item choice each time the map is to be updated. The user would have no need to make changes on, or even to see, the table used to feed the chart.

'Many more positions' could raise another issue with my suggestion above—unless the specs have changed with version 3.

The maximum number of columns in a Numbers table is 256, so a table laid out with each Y value in a separate column would be limited to about 250 positions (allowing one column for the X values, one for the names and a few for other details, such as the two in your example).

Keeping all the x/y pairs in two columns would allow as many as 65,300 pairs to be listed on a single table, but (using Numbers v2) I don't see a way to label each point with a different name.

"I think its a bug from Numbers."

I very much doubt that is the case. A bug is something in the program that makes it operate in a manner different than the program is designed to do. An unimplemented feature or not-included feature is not a bug.

"Open Office can do it in my way, perhaps Excel too."

If Numbers were designed as a clone of OpenOffice or of MS Excel, then the facts stated would be relevant. But even a brief examination clearly indicates cloning either of these applications was not a design goal.

"But i have ti use Numbers."

If it's your choice, you may want to rethink it. If it's an imposed choice, you may need to explain to the person/organization making the choice it the performance limitations that the choice also imposes.

"How to get a ticket from support?"

The few times I've needed to contact Applecare, those contacts have been initially via telephone to the number listed in the Applecare agreement. As I recall, those occasions were in connection with hardware issue, and I received a case number during the initial call. Someone else may have more recent experience, or experience with a software issue, and be able to supply more useful information.

I would suggest filing a bug report (if you still consider this a bug), or a feature request. In Numbers, go to the Numbers menu and choose Provide Numbers Feedback. Apple will not likely contact you unless additional information regarding the issue is needed. Fixes, if needed, won't come before the next scheduled update; added features, if any, won't occur until the next full version upgrade.

Meantime, I'm hoping for a response from someone using Numbers 3.5.3 with a better solution, or a confirmation that they were unable to find one.

Regards,

Barry

I'm creating a map with a x/y diagram. Now i want to name the points...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.