Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch screen erratic only after initial wake

I am observing erratic behavior with two of the three iPhone 5C's in my house. After a "sufficient" length of sleep time, the pressing the wake button brings the screen on. You can use slide gestures, so the "slide to unlock" action is OK, as is the slide to bring down notifications or bring up the control center. Tapping works only in the bottom part of the screen, so we can tap to bring up the camera app. Tapping doesn't work any where else.

If we slide to unlock, we cannot tap in the code.

If we bring up control center, camera, or notifications, we cannot tap on anything above the bottom quarter of the screen.

If we press the sleep/wake button again to put the phone to sleep, and immediately wake it up, everything is fine, and we can use both phones as usual.

So far, we have:

• Restored the phone to "factory" settings with itunes
  • Cleaned the outside of the phone, removing screen protectors and cases

I've seen a few posts on the net with similar problems. The suggestions seem to be replace the screen - but the digitizer/screen works fine all other times, so I'm kind of at a loss. Based on the behavior, it seems like it would be more like a software problem rather than a hardware problem -- maybe ios9 will fix it up?

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 9:49 AM

4 replies

Sep 2, 2015 2:21 AM in response to Brett L

Hello Brett,

That troubleshooting guide is too general to be of help in this case. I also suddenly have the exact same problem. When you wake the phone (in my case iPhone5) up, you can use the slider, but you cannot enter the passcode, at least for a minute or two. You can keep tapping and tapping. Eventually after a while it will work you can get one number and then several seconds later another number and so on. So I disabled the passcode. Still after you wake the phone up after a prolonged sleep (several seconds, minutes), you cannot select any app. Only after I put the phone back to sleep with the top button and immediately re-wake it, then it will work great. It is the same every time. It is not a hardware problem that I can see, and therefore is not going to be solved by the general troubleshooting guide.

touch screen erratic only after initial wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.