Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

online backup of documents

I've been reading reviews of various online backup services, specifically for my documents that change frequently. The reviews are not particularly complimentary to any of them. Any suggestions? Will Apple be developing an online backup service to work with Time Machine? Thanks for any input.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:44 AM

Some time ago I thought I might want to start using an online backup. So I decided to test all of them that offered a free demo.

I set up a sandbox to do my testing. I then put samples of my data into the sandbox and allowed them to be backed up. Later I deleted all of my data and restored from the online backup. Not one of them was able to restore my data in a completely usable format. After that dismal failure, I decided that paying for online backups that are not able to return data in a usable format is just plain silly. So I have not implement an online backup solution.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 10:44 AM in response to DocNES

Some time ago I thought I might want to start using an online backup. So I decided to test all of them that offered a free demo.

I set up a sandbox to do my testing. I then put samples of my data into the sandbox and allowed them to be backed up. Later I deleted all of my data and restored from the online backup. Not one of them was able to restore my data in a completely usable format. After that dismal failure, I decided that paying for online backups that are not able to return data in a usable format is just plain silly. So I have not implement an online backup solution.

Aug 30, 2015 10:48 AM in response to DocNES

Will Apple be developing an online backup service to work with Time Machine?

Unfortunately, we are not going to be able to answer your question.....since we are all users here, just like you.....and no one on a user-to-user support forum will have any information about what a notoriously secretive company like Apple might do, or when they might do it.

online backup of documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.