Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Macine Backup After Time Capsule Reset

Hi,

I recently had to do a factory reset of my 2TB Time Capsule due to changing networks and the inability to recognize it with its current settings.

After I did this, and although I got it up and running on the new network with the same base station name and password, my Time Machine would no longer recognize the original backup disk as available. Time machine could see the "new" available disk on the Time Capsule listing it with the same base station name and disk name just how it set it up, but the original (also listed) is "not available" and it wants to start over with a completely new backup even though my mac is not new and hasn't changed--it just needs to perform a backup.

Is there a way to force the time machine to resume backups using the old disk or backup file?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2015 10:05 AM

The message that it will do a new backup is false in most cases.

If you haven't let it start yet.. then my advice is to do so.. when it starts TM discovers the existing backup and will do a deep scan through it which takes a while and then continue to use existing backup.. only when it starts will this happen.

If that doesn't work and you see it has actually created a new sparsebundle.. cancel the backup and try Pondini's method to inherit the old backup.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

See B5 and B6.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2015 10:05 AM in response to wd_

The message that it will do a new backup is false in most cases.

If you haven't let it start yet.. then my advice is to do so.. when it starts TM discovers the existing backup and will do a deep scan through it which takes a while and then continue to use existing backup.. only when it starts will this happen.

If that doesn't work and you see it has actually created a new sparsebundle.. cancel the backup and try Pondini's method to inherit the old backup.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

See B5 and B6.

Time Macine Backup After Time Capsule Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.