Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive Time Machine Backup

I am trying to setup my Macbook Pro with Yosemite to wirelessly backup via a USB Hard Drive connected to my Airport Extreme.

I have setup the hard drive via Airport Utility as shown in the attached picture.

User uploaded file

When I try to select the Backup Disk in Time Machine settings the hard drive does not show up as shown in the picture.

Double clicking on "Other.....capsule" takes me back to Airport Utility and that is where I get lost.

What am I missing?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:43 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 11:07 AM in response to fabian1313

Do you have the newer "tower" shaped version of the AirPort Extreme? We ask, since this is the only AirPort Extreme model that will officially support Time Machine backups to a USB drive. The older "flat or square" versions of the AirPort Extreme do not officially support Time Machine, although we do see reports from time to time from users who claim to have been able to make this work.

If you have the newer "tower" version of the AirPort Extreme, the hard drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to receive Time Machine backups.

Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.