Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for OS X and Apple TV 2.

Hello. I'm using OS X 10.10.5 with Apple Photos 1.0.1 . I have an Apple TV 2nd edition. After upgrading to Apple Photos, I updated the location in iTunes (version 12.2.2.25) by going to

File > Home Sharing > Choose photos to share with Apple TV > and changed the dropdown to Apple Photos.

Now, when I go onto the 'Computers' menu of my Apple TV and select Photos out of the list, it is constantly stuck on 'Loading (My Name)'s Library'

I appreciate that my Apple TV is 1 version out of date, but I really would like to continue using it instead of purchasing a new one!

Any advice very much appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 8GB RAM, 2.5GHz, 500GB

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:46 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2015 5:05 AM in response to ASCarlisle

After spending 10 minutes on the phone with Apple Care, I have the solution! Publishing it here for anyone who has the same issue...

Before starting, ensure you are using the latest version of OS X, Apple Photos and iTunes.

If your Apple TV second gen won't show photos from Apple Photos

1. In iTunes on your Mac, go to File > Home Sharing > Turn off Home Sharing
  2. Shut down your Mac
  3. Turn off Home Sharing on your Apple TV. (Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices on your home network - Apple Support)
  4. Unplug Apple TV
  5. Power cycle (reboot) your internet router.
  6. Reboot the Mac - Press the power button and then immediately hold down cmd+option+p+r. You will know if you have succeeded when you hear the startup chime a second time. This is known as resetting the NVRAM and its purpose is to clear caches and temporary files (correct me if I'm wrong). How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  7. When your desktop loads on the Mac, open iTunes
  8. Go to File > Home Sharing > Turn on Home Sharing > Login
  9. Plug the Apple TV back in
  10. When it loads, turn Home Sharing on again (instructions link in step 3).
  11. All being well, you should now be able to get to Photos from your Apple TV.

Thank you to 'vazandrew' and 'Winston Churchill' who helped me get this far

Photos for OS X and Apple TV 2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.