Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mavericks on new hard drive

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 2010 that I had to install a new hard drive on. I restored from a Time Machine back up, that had the latest update from OS X 10.9. After restoring, I keep getting kernel panics and restarting messages.

I then tried reinstalling the OS X 10.6 from the original DVD, and this worked..the computer would turn load, but many of the applications (including the app store) won't work. I want to try to install Mavericks back on, but when I try reinstalling (from OS Recovery), I get the message that Mavericks is unavailable. I also was going to try downloading Mavericks on a different computer to create a bootable copy, but I can't find it in the App store.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2015 12:48 PM in response to maggie_g

Mavericks is no longer available. You can install Yosemite, the current version of OS X, or you can purchase a copy of Mountain Lion.

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Purchase a redemption code at the Online Apple Store: OS X Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is $19.99 plus tax. Use the code to redeem a download of Mountain Lion from the App Store. The file is quite large, over 4 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mountain Lion - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later.

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model

Identifier 5,1 or later.

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later.

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later.

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Aug 30, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick response!

I was hoping to avoid Yosemite as my computer runs a little slowly already and I've been told by a few geniuses that Mavericks is better until El Capitain comes out. That being said, I need my computer and can't get a genius bar appointment for a few days..if I install Yosemite, is it possible to then have Mavericks installed when I bring it to the genius bar?

Thanks again

Aug 30, 2015 1:24 PM in response to maggie_g

Hi Maggie,

If you go to your Applicatins folder (Finder > Go > Applications), is there an app called 'Install OS X Mavericks'? If so, you will need to back this installer up, which will allow you to reuse it if and when you want to downgrade. However, El Capitan is only a couple of months away, so I wouldn't bother personally.

We can provide more detailed information on this shortly. Please confirm whether you have the installer first.

Cheers

Aug 30, 2015 1:34 PM in response to ASCarlisle

I retried restoring from Time Machine to see if it would work (wishful thinking), and now I am not even able to install OS X 10.6...it's saying that "Mac OS X cannot start up from this disk (my hard drive)". So I can't actually open anything as I keep getting the kernel panic every time I try to turn the computer on. I'm not able to check on the Installer yet, but will keep trying.

Aug 30, 2015 3:13 PM in response to maggie_g

In order to install Snow Leopard you must erase the drive first. See below. Have you tried re-downloading from the Purchases list in the App Store while booted from a version of OS X prior to Mavericks?

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Installing Mavericks on new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.