Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

laptop was stolen now what?

I feel so lost my laptop that I am still paying for with the barclaycard was stolen yesterday. I have no idea what to do now? am i stuck paying off a laptop that a thief now has? how do i clear my info that i had on that laptop? It hurts because all i want is the pictures and those memories that i will never get back. any advice will help thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 11:25 AM

Report the theft to the local police. Get a new computer and restore your pictures and other data from your backup to your new computer.

If you have house or renters insurance contact your insurance company. Your computer loss may be covered.

5 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:18 PM in response to rgdenis

That feature (using iCloud to find it) is called "Find My Mac". But you needed to have turned it on last week, or it will not be active and usable now.

If you did turn it on, and do find out where your Mac is located, do not confront the people who have it -- get the local police involved instead. The police are trained to do this sort of work, and you are likely not. People have been severely injured confronting strangers over stolen devices.

Aug 31, 2015 8:08 AM in response to belinda818

Thank you all for your help. I already filed a police report. I filed a claim with my home insurance. Unfortunately i did not install "find my mac" I hope that my insurance claim goes through so i can pay off what i owe on my stolen laptop and hope in the near future to get another one in hopes of recovering my pictures that were on the laptop since thats all i really want back. I thank you all for taking the time to respond.

laptop was stolen now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.