Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad connected but not seeing 5g network

I installed a new Netgear wifi router. I was able to connect my iPad (running 8.4.1) to the 5g network and it works fine. I’m getting 25mbs which is OK. But now even though the iPad is connected to the 5g it no longer sees the 5g in the list AND even if I type it in it doesn’t recognize it.... But it is connected. It seems odd. I have restarted

The SSID name is being broadcast and I can see it and log on on my iMac and can log on.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:23 PM

Les, it seems odd to me also. Here is what I would do. Go into your router and rename the 5 GHz band SSID to something like xxxx-5G and different than your 2.4 band SSID. Then reboot your router by unplugging it for about 2 minutes. Then try resetting your Network Settings. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back in to Settings > Wi-Fi > and try to rejoin the xxxx-5G network again. Hopefully it will be there.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Les Vogt1

Les, it seems odd to me also. Here is what I would do. Go into your router and rename the 5 GHz band SSID to something like xxxx-5G and different than your 2.4 band SSID. Then reboot your router by unplugging it for about 2 minutes. Then try resetting your Network Settings. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back in to Settings > Wi-Fi > and try to rejoin the xxxx-5G network again. Hopefully it will be there.

iPad connected but not seeing 5g network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.