Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow response and freezing screen

i have an iphone 5. It started responding slowly to swipes and taps and also has a delay when I use the keyboard. Today it started freezing up, opening seemingly random apps and bouncing back to a previous web page. There is also a grey vertical stripe starting at the very top of the screen and tapering off about 3/4 of the way down.

I've restarted and done a reset but it hasn't helped. Any suggestions or is it time to replace it?

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 11:43 AM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2015 11:59 PM in response to ZikzakCorp

Thank you, Zikzak. I actually tried that first thinking the Otter Box might be blocking the screen. I tried rebooting and resetting and it didn't help. It appears there is a section of the screen that is dead. When I type (text message) in portrait it won't type the Y. In landscape it will because it moves the Y off that section of the screen. I tried playing Soda Crush and can't make any moves that are in the middle of the screen (of course that's where the best ones were!). The phone is only two years old but I did not buy the extended warranty. It has also started losing the charge quickly and charging really slowly. I understand the screen can be changed? I guess the next step is to find out if I'd be better off to get the screen changed or go ahead and buy a new one. I'm with Virgin Mobil so I have to buy the phone outright. I can still use the phone as a phone and the camera works fine but it freezes up on the internet, and, really, I use texting and the internet more than anything else. I can text in landscape mode so I'm not completely cut off but I'm afraid it will quit now that I'm having these screen problems.

Thanks again,

Greenbean

Slow response and freezing screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.