Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing high resolution images from InDesign

I have a HP 2055DN Postscript laser printer and often print Adobe InDesign files that contain high-resolution photos and Illustrator EPS files. When I print a file from InDesign with an EPS logo or 300+ dpi image in it, the printer outputs at it's default 600-dpi resolution instead of the 1200-dpi it is capable of, which looks amateurish. I have gone into printer settings to ensure that the printer is set correctly, but InDesign seems to ignore them. Before I used InDesign, I was a QuarkXpress user, and I had no trouble creating hi-res presets that would output correctly. This seems to be an issue of the Apple print dialog not passing the correct settings back through InDesign for the print job.

Anyone know what specific settings might be changed to help printing at the resolution this printer is capable of? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD HD

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:00 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 12:52 PM in response to grtgrfx

I have gone into printer settings to ensure that the printer is set correctly, but InDesign seems to ignore them.

I presume you mean you're clicking on the Printer button at the bottom of InDesign's output dialogue?

User uploaded file

As shown above, the dialogue for our Xerox 7500 comes up when we click that button, and then choose the output quality from the Xerox specific choice, Xerox Features.

Once you have your preferred settings plugged in (and click Print to get back to the InDesign dialogue), immediately click the Save Preset button. If you, for example, click the Cancel button because you thought of something else you needed to change, and then go back to the print dialogue, all of your changes will be lost and it will go back to the last preset used. A preset will remember not just InDesign's various output choices, but also the printer driver options. Or at least it should.

Printing high resolution images from InDesign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.