Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to monitor audio input

Meter shows good input level and records fine but I'm unable to hear input before and during recording. I thought I'd be able to hear audio input on any record-enabled track. Input monitoring for focused tracks only is checked. Software monitoring is off. Enabling input monitor doesn't help. I have core audio checked in prefs.

Input monitoring in Garageband and Digital Performer DAWs works fine. Interfaces are MOTU 1224 and 2408 MK II with the latest driver.

Thanks for any help for this Logic beginner. I must be missing something very obvious!

Logic 10.2 Mac OS 10.10.5

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:50 PM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2015 6:53 PM in response to mikekamikeka

mikekamikeka wrote:

My understanding of software monitoring is yes, turn that on if you want to play through plug-ins i.e. a guitar amp sim or the like. I just want to monitor the dry direct input. At any rate, toggling that on or off has no effect. I am using a buffer of 128. Thanks for the reply 🙂

I think there is some confusion here.

Monitoring dry/direct is done at the hardware level and is a function of the MOTU hardware and Cuemix software, It's probably true that MOTU's Digital Performer can directly access hardware monitoring. If you had hardware monitoring enabled in Digital Performer, closed that application and opened Garageband, you might still have hardware monitoring enabled. If that's not the case, you were in fact using "software monitoring" in Garageband.

The fact that Software Monitoring gives you no input monitoring in Logic means there another problem, with software monitoring on, and a record enabled track selected you should definitely be able to hear your input source.

I believe there's a new control in Logic X that allows manipulation of the dry/direct input level it was added in an updatre a few months ago. I'm going to try and send someone your way who used MOTU hardware and Logig-X.

Aug 31, 2015 7:48 AM in response to mikekamikeka

I originally thought this sounds like this is a mis configuration in Cuemix,...

However, that doesn't make any sense given the following statement...

Meter shows good input level and records fine but I'm unable to hear input before and during recording.

If the meters in Logic show an input and it records fine then it's somehow, something set up wrong in Logic.... but as to what that is, it's really hard to say. The Audio prefs look correct to me.. so..

Can you please put up a screenshot of your mixer and channel strip for one audio channel where this is occurring... Maybe Clancy or I can spot whats going on..

Aug 31, 2015 8:32 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Also, to rule out anything that is project specific in Logic...

Create a new project via the New from Template menu option..

Choose...the Songwriter template

Select the Natural Strum Track.. if you are using a Guitar....

or..

Tracking Vocal if you are using a Mic....

Set the input to match the input used on your Audio Interface...

Click on the Input Monitoring button in the track Header....

Make sure the track is Record Armed...

Now play your guitar or sing into your Mic.. (use headphones if needed) and see if you can hear the audio....

Aug 31, 2015 5:19 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Worked OK using the Songwriter template so I think the template/file I created was the problem.

Other discoveries: Logic does not support direct hardware playthrough with MOTU interfaces. Maybe it does with other brands, I have no idea. I always used this in DP as it gave me near-zero latency when tracking. This is why I initially did not want to "monitor through software" in Logic as this has a different meaning in DP (it means monitor through plugins .... not always wanted) but I now realize it is my only option (I think). I figured (wrongly it seems) that any Core Audio device would support this but dunno ....

FYI, I've never used Cuemix so that's definitely not a consideration here. It is a separate standalone app from DP, not part of the DAW at all.

I very much appreciate your help guys and am looking forward to getting to know Logic a lot better 🙂

Aug 31, 2015 6:10 PM in response to mikekamikeka

Just so there is no/less confusion when anyone else reads this thread..

1) Cuemix is an app provided with the Motu range of devices and is an external mixing configuration application... that can be used to set audio levels and routing up prior to the audio being sent to a DAW...

2) Software monitoring with the Motu range (as well as other Pro audio devices...) generates so little latency its really not worth being concerned about...imho 🙂

Mike,

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue... and yes, as i suspected, it was how you had set up that project/template.. which is all I could think it could be, based on what you were says earlier.

Cheers..

Nigel

Aug 31, 2015 9:08 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

Just so there is no/less confusion when anyone else reads this thread..

1) Cuemix is an app provided with the Motu range of devices and is an external mixing configuration application... that can be used to set audio levels and routing up prior to the audio being sent to a DAW...

Cheers..

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I'm a bit leery of advising Logic X users these days as there's been several changes/advancements.

If Cuemix is anything like the software mixer/apps that come with Presonus or RME hardware, you should be able to setup hardware monitoring via cuemix.

Unable to monitor audio input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.