Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Database like Microsoft Acces for Mac

Hi everibody,

I really need to know how can I install Microsoft Access on my mac without installing Windows.

If it is impossible, do you know some other software for mac that make the same things of Access?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 10:20 AM

I know this response is a little late, but as someone who has used both FileMaker and Access extensively I would like to clarify a few things for you. First, they are both databases. That's where the similarity stops. They really are different. Here's how: (1) Access has an ANSI SQL-compliant query interface, FileMaker doesn't. (2) FileMaker uses a flat-file data structure. (3) Access comes with a rich programming environment and the ability to make sophisticated forms for doing real work. This is a big one. My last big project was 70k lines of VBA code that scraped data and modeled an airplane electrical system. My previous team built a suite of apps that was nearly 1M lines. VBA isn't object-oriented because its class entities lack inheritance, but you can fake a lot using interfaces. FileMaker can be fiddled with using AppleScript and has some simple interface components, but that's it. You can create applications with Access and separate the executable from the data store. You can talk to SQLServer and Oracle. I've worked in 14 languages in my career and Access is hands-down the most effective rapid-prototyping environment so far ... and you can use it for production work with the right plan in place. I'm surprised that we never pushed Microsoft hard enough to port this to OS X because there's nothing like it on the market. If you need to do something clever, definitely get a Windows and Office Home Edition license and start using it. The query builder is awesome. Creating forms is easy. VBA is very flexible. There are plenty of users out there and plenty of examples if you need VBA code. Go for it.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2017 10:20 AM in response to Osty89

I know this response is a little late, but as someone who has used both FileMaker and Access extensively I would like to clarify a few things for you. First, they are both databases. That's where the similarity stops. They really are different. Here's how: (1) Access has an ANSI SQL-compliant query interface, FileMaker doesn't. (2) FileMaker uses a flat-file data structure. (3) Access comes with a rich programming environment and the ability to make sophisticated forms for doing real work. This is a big one. My last big project was 70k lines of VBA code that scraped data and modeled an airplane electrical system. My previous team built a suite of apps that was nearly 1M lines. VBA isn't object-oriented because its class entities lack inheritance, but you can fake a lot using interfaces. FileMaker can be fiddled with using AppleScript and has some simple interface components, but that's it. You can create applications with Access and separate the executable from the data store. You can talk to SQLServer and Oracle. I've worked in 14 languages in my career and Access is hands-down the most effective rapid-prototyping environment so far ... and you can use it for production work with the right plan in place. I'm surprised that we never pushed Microsoft hard enough to port this to OS X because there's nothing like it on the market. If you need to do something clever, definitely get a Windows and Office Home Edition license and start using it. The query builder is awesome. Creating forms is easy. VBA is very flexible. There are plenty of users out there and plenty of examples if you need VBA code. Go for it.

Jun 8, 2017 7:00 AM in response to funcall-of-nil

funcall-of-nil,

I SERIOUSLY would like to speak with you outside of forums so that we could carry on a more technical conversation than can be done here. I agree with what you say here, FileMaker is NOTHING like Access, and you've already mentioned most of the reasons, so I won't repeat them. I AM AN ACCESS PROGRAMMER, and I have numerous databases that I've created for myself as well as numerous charity organizations (including but not limited to Cocoa Playhouse, SunNFun, Civil Air Patrol). In fact for one of them, they asked me to please help fix their Access database that stopped working and now they can't use it (it was written in Access 97, luckily I still had the books for '97, so was able to repair the database without losing any of the data). I currently use Access 2010, simply cuz I do NOT like Windows 8 or 10 so have not upgraded. I've used FileMaker as well. It works...a little clumsy, but, it's ok. I've fixed a few FileMaker databases as well. I'm trying hard to switch over to Mac, so I don't have to go to Win8/10. EL YUCHO! Boy did Microsoft do us a disservice on THAT upgrade. I found this forum request today while searching for a way to find some relational database which works on the Mac. Like you, I already looked at Office for Mac and saw SPECIFICALLY that it does not support Access, or PowerPoint for that matter, another nice program.

Aug 30, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Jay-Ray wrote:

I would just get Microsoft Office for Mac if you want to use Access.

Office for Mac does not include Access, it would be a complete waste of money.

Access is a relational database, Filemaker is a flat file. They are not compatible.

Feel free to check Microsoft. Office for Mac is now on 365 (the cloud) which includes Access 🙂 I posted the link above if you care to research.

Aug 30, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Osty89

Hi there. I bought a program a while ago called 'Crossover'. You simply put in your Windows disc or .exe installer and it runs the software in an emulator as if it was a Mac app. And it's still cheaper than buying Parallels and Windows 7, cheaper than FileMaker Pro (provided you've already got MS Office) and uses up much less system resources!

You can get a free trial of Crossover to 'try before you buy' and to check your particular program works. https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac2/?utm_expid=4394146-26.OmXSvD wFRFigE-VgtcHj4w.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F

Now, Crossover costs $60 from the developer's website. However, I got my copy in this 'bundle' from Stacksocial (https://stacksocial.com/sales/pay-what-you-want-magic-mac-bundle) for just $10! If you're in the UK like me, just pay with PayPal and they'll handle conversion to your local currency.

As for alternatives to Microsoft Office. I like to use Libre Office. Their 'version' of MS Access is called Libre Office Base

I've attached a couple of screenshots of Access 2007 (a little old, I know running on my Mac). As you can see....

• It looks like a Mac app, and can be used alongside 'Native' Mac apps
  • It even shows up in the dock, which is a nice touch!
  • It integrates perfectly with finder. You can open and save files to your Mac's drive no probs.
  • (this is something I've recently discovered), if you download an access file from the internet, or an email and double click it, it will automatically launch Access.

I've tested Crossover with several apps including Microsoft Office, RootsMagic & AceMoney accounting software

As you can tell, I really love this app!

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affilliated with Crossover - I simply think it's brilliant!

Cheers! ASC

User uploaded file

Database like Microsoft Acces for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.