Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't purchase an iBook because it says item is currently being modified. Any ideal what is going on?

Can't purchase an iBook because it says item is currently being modified. Any ideal what is going on?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:00 PM

12 replies

Aug 30, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

OK - but I tried yesterday about this time. I have tried it on my computer and my iPad, rebooted both to no avail. Seems strange - I thought this was an Apple App and if so you would think that this is costing them money since if I really needed the book I would buy it on the Kindle or another App. Anyway, thanks for your response - I'll try again tomorrow.

Aug 30, 2015 6:12 PM in response to royfromaledo

I Have also noticed the same thing with a book (State of the Union- Brad Thor) that I was trying to purchase. Not sure what the deal is, it has been 48 hours and I have tried multiple times from nultiple devices to purchase the book to no avail. I also inquired with Apple about it, they were useless though, thought I was trying to buy the audio book version.

Aug 31, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Maggie Vansickle

Same here but it's been almost 5 days. I was at the Apple Store for something else today and they had me try to sign in and out of the iTunes Store, reboot my phone, iPad and computer and try again to purchase any book and still it didn't work. They had no solution but I'm glad too see now that there's more than just me. Hopefully this gets them to update their systems and debug it faster.

Sep 1, 2015 5:05 PM in response to royfromaledo

I have been trying to purchase an iBook title for nearly a week, and am receiving the same pop up:

Purchase of this item is not currently available.

This item is being modified. Please try again later.

I contacted Apple Support and was advised that the publisher is modifying it. I was skeptical about their response and emailed the publisher.

This was their reply:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Penguin Random House. We appreciate your continued interest in our publications.

We have had multiple reports of various titles being unavailable through iBooks in the past 2 days. We can confirm that this title is available to all eBook retailers and we are not doing anything on our end to prevent the purchase and download of this title. Please contact your iBook retailer for additional support.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,

Penguin Random House Consumer Services

Did you know many of your questions can be answered right on our FAQ page, found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/faqs/

Sep 1, 2015 10:52 PM in response to CloeAnn

As far as I'm concerned the only thing worse than this problem is Apple's unwillingness to openly discuss it in this or any other forum. But that's not unusual. BTW, I filled out the stupid feedback form, which failed to ask the right questions or indicate any interest whatsoever in what my issue was. I have been an Apple customer for over 40 years and this kind of thing really chaps my hide.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.