Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have many duplicates of songs in Library, Original and Lossless. If I choose to delete original song, will I retain "proof of ownership?"

I have many duplicate songs in my music library due to downloading songs, then immediately creating "Apple Lossless" versions for each for better burn quality. This resulted in many duplicates: Question is: IF I CHOOSE TO DELETE THE ORIGINAL DOWNLOADED VERSIONS INSTEAD AND RETAIN THE CONVERTED "LOSSLESS" VERSIONS, WILL I STILL HAVE "PROOF OF PURCHASE" FROM APPLE'S STANDPOINT FOR FUTURE REPLACEMENTS, ETC. I ASKED THIS SEVERAL DAYS AGO AND WAS SENT SOME ARTICLES TO READ BUT NONE OF THE ARTICLES ADDRESSED THIS QUESTION. I LET THE SUPPORT PERSON KNOW BUT STILL NO FURTHER RESPONSE. I AM GETTING READY TO BUY MY FIRST APPLE COMPUTER (MACBOOK PRO WITH RETINA DISPLAY) SO I AM TRYING TO STREAMLINE (SHRINK) MY MUSIC LIBRARY BEFORE I PUT MUSIC LIBRARY ON THE NEW MAC.

This problem is with my HP Notebook

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 3:36 PM

Hi Bill,

The basis answer is Yes -- all the songs you've bought over the years will still be in your Purchase history, and you'll be able to download them again if you want to.

I guess I hesitate a little bit in saying this, because it does depend on the songs still being available in the iTunes Store. I'm not aware of cases where music has been removed from the store, but I would guess this is a possibility, since the whole thing depends on Apple maintaining contractual relationships with the copyright holders, etc. Neil Young, for example, recently pulled his music from online streaming services, I think. So anything could happen.

I hope this helps answer the question.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 3:36 PM in response to billsouth

Hi Bill,

The basis answer is Yes -- all the songs you've bought over the years will still be in your Purchase history, and you'll be able to download them again if you want to.

I guess I hesitate a little bit in saying this, because it does depend on the songs still being available in the iTunes Store. I'm not aware of cases where music has been removed from the store, but I would guess this is a possibility, since the whole thing depends on Apple maintaining contractual relationships with the copyright holders, etc. Neil Young, for example, recently pulled his music from online streaming services, I think. So anything could happen.

I hope this helps answer the question.

Aug 30, 2015 8:27 PM in response to billsouth

Why are you making lossless copies? Unless this is for a specific task such as audio editing there is no point in doing it. Any quality lost during the original encode will not be regained through lossless conversion. It will only make the file larger.

I believe converted copies will not have the "purchased by" information that you see when you get info on a track i iTunes and show summary. Not that that matters in terms of Apple having a record of purchases you have made, it's more a matter of convenience should you use multiple AppleIDs and want to know with which one a purchase is associated.

Aug 31, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos. Very helpful, however before I check that it completely answered my question, let me explain why I convert to Lossless. I am an old fashioned senior, and the ONLY music I listen to is on the CD's I create over the years on iTunes (mostly oldies). Here is the important question that would really really help me to know the accurate answer to. I convert to Lossless because I read in Apple Support 3 or 4 years ago that the HIGHEST QUALITY SOUND, especially for BURNING MY OWN CD'S, was Apple LOSSLESS or .WAV. It said that even though it took more space (a lot more!), it would produce the best sound on a CD. So, now that you know what I do and why, ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT IN TODAY'S WORLD, I CAN GET THE SAME QUALITY OF SOUND BY BURNING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASED VERSION (AAC, I THINK) AND THERE IS NO IMPROVEMENT IN SOUND QUALITY AS FAR AS BURNING A CD IF I CONVERT TO "LOSSLESS VERSION"???? I would really appreciate your help. This could save me a lot of concerns if I don't gain anything by converting my purchases to Lossless. Thank you sincerely.

Aug 31, 2015 7:36 AM in response to billsouth

The highest quality is if the original file is in Apple Lossless, AIFF, or WAV format. The conversion of the original CD or master copy to one of those formats undergoes no loss. However, when Apple converts their original to AAC/M4A for sale in the Store there is irreversible loss and it is that lossy file you get. So no, burning the AAC file is not going to be as good to an audiophile as if you had started with the original lossless format, but converting the AAC to a lossless format first will not regain that quality, it will only result in a file that is larger but the same quality as the original lossy AAC with which you had to work.

Summary: There is no point in converting your purchases to lossless. If you really want the original CD quality you will have to either buy the physical CD or find an online vendor who deals in lossless format files (tends to not be as wide a selection).

Aug 31, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Limnos

Hi, Limnos. This totally answered my question and educated me beyond what I expected concerning CD quality and burning, etc. I really appreciate it. I can now delete my "heavy" lossless versions to save space before I load my library onto my new MacBook Pro, which I should buy within a few days. Thanks again! I clicked "This Answered Question"!

I have many duplicates of songs in Library, Original and Lossless. If I choose to delete original song, will I retain "proof of ownership?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.