Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPv6

I recently moved in to student accommodation at my university and have to use Ethernet in order to have internet access. I have a MacBook Air so I bought a USB 2.0 Ethernet Adaptor from HomeBase because it was cheaper than the one that Apple offers and because I am a student, I cannot afford the more expensive one. However, I'm having trouble with my internet access. Certain websites such as Netflix and AOL and even parts of the Apple website cannot be accessed. Whenever I attempt to access them, I am redirected to my accommodation's internet server where I have to log my details in again. I've contacted them for support about it, however, they have had little success. I believe it has something to do with me not being able to disable the IPv6 on my laptop. Whenever I enter in the information to turn it off, it says that Ethernet does not exist on my laptop. I'm wondering if this is because of my Ethernet adaptor. Is there some other way I can disable the IPv6 problem?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:25 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 1:32 PM in response to KerstinF

Hi Kerstin,

Are you getting any error messages? If so, please post a screenshot of them (How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support).

As for 'disabling IPv6' I'm not sure you understand how this works. The IP distribution format will likely be set by one of the University's many servers. There is no reason why your Mac shouldn't be compatible. The best you can do is go to System Preferences > Network > Select Ethernet down the side > Advanced > TCP/IT > Configure IPv6 > Set dropdown to 'Link Local only'. If this doesn't help, or makes the problem worse, change it back to 'automatically'

If that doesn't work, ask your IT Admin whether there are any proxy settings which you need to enter manually to get access -this maybe your problem.

Cheers

IPv6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.