Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook and Airplane USB Charging?

Next week I'm taking a long trans-pacific flight (about 13 hours--not looking forward to that) and it looks the aircraft I'll be on (B773ER) has both a 120 volt outlet and a USB port at every seat. The 120V outlet is rated at 75 watts, easily enough to power and charge the MacBook. However, depending on the location of the outlet, I sometimes have trouble getting the small Apple charging brick to stay in place. I also have a USB A>C cable and wonder if the aircraft USB power will be sufficient to keep the MacBook operable, even if it doesn't charge it much.

My research has failed to come up with reliable data either on the wattage or amperage capability of USB ports in commercial aircraft or how much power the MacBook draws in normal operation (which I recognize can vary with different operations).

Can anyone here give me any guidance, either from data or personal experience.

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 2:10 PM

3 replies

Aug 31, 2015 5:13 AM in response to Mike Raub

If the USB socket actually complies with the USB spec then it's 1 amp at 5 volts (5 watts), if it doesn't comply all bets are off. If it doesn't comply though that would be an actionable state, no airline will risk a lawsuit over a USB socket so it's probably compliant.

Why not get a short 120V extension cord so the brick can be better located.

MacBook and Airplane USB Charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.