Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it legal to install Apple firmware on a Mac that it wasn't designed for?

For example, a 'hack' was released to enable the Mac Pro 5,1 EFI Boot ROM firmware to be installed on a Mac Pro 4,1 (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/05/firmware-hack-can-transform-a-2009-mac-pro- into-a-12-core-monster/).

The main reasons why I would want to apply this update is to enable the use of CPUs not originally supported, and audio on the Mini DisplayPort outputs.

I'm not concerned about support or warranty, as it makes sense that these would be voided; however, is it legal? Does applying this update violate the EULA?

I just want to ensure that I don't get in any hot water with Apple if I install the update described in the post referenced above

Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 2:26 PM

I do not think so and other have have successfully done that upgrade.

I plan to do that if a can find a 6 core processor for my 2009

2 replies

Aug 30, 2015 3:51 PM in response to jgib27

If you are doing this for your own use, go right ahead. On a small scale, this is just a hobbyist kind of a modification, like adding a liquid-cooler. As long as you do not intend to profit from the sale of modified Mac Pros on a large scale, it is not something Apple cares about.

I will surely void the generous 1-year warranty, however.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.