Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could Yosemite be causing hard drive noise?

So, I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro. I recently just had my macbook serviced for a clicking sound (faulty fan bearings, got a new fan). Since I've had it back, I hear a fan like sound coming from my laptop, underneath the arrow keys. I believe they tested my hard drive and all checked out fine. I upgraded to Yosemite upon getting my laptop back, could Yosemite be causing it to spin faster? It's difficult to hear unless you're in a quiet room or put your ear up to it, in which it sounds pretty intense.

I really can't afford another repair right now, what should I do?

I have 4GB of RAM and a 500GB SATA disk hard drive.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:39 PM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2015 6:21 PM in response to John Galt

I have done so. There don't seem to be any performance issues, and I just ran the Apple Hardware Test and it came up saying no issues were detected. Again, the noise isn't terribly noticeable unless I'm in a dead silent room or I put my ear close, in which case it just sounds like a whirring fan. Should I even be worried?

Aug 31, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Karevoa

Not if you have a backup. Two or more redundant backups are ideal.

AHT will not reliably diagnose a hard disk drive that is on the verge of failing. Nothing can. They will all fail... eventually. Having a backup turns that inevitable event into a mere inconvenience. Replacement hard disk drives are inexpensive and simple to install. When you do, consider upgrading to a SSD, whose prices have fallen considerably in recent years. Obtain it from a vendor known to support Apple, such as OWC / MacSales.

Aug 31, 2015 7:51 AM in response to John Galt

Hi Kareova:

I have the same computer with the same issue.

Do you have this HD - Toshiba MK7559GSXF.

There is an issue with the bearings which make it sound like a fan is running (bad bearing). This is somewhat of a known issue.

So, it is not the OS that is causing your problem if you have the above HD.

My HD operates fine and will pass any test, but the noise from the bearings is always there.

I am getting ready to replace my HD, that is the only fix for the problem.

Hope the above helps you out.

Maury

Could Yosemite be causing hard drive noise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.