Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod not recognized by iTunes or Device Manager

iPod is not recognized by iTunes or Device Manager on either my PC (Windows 10) or laptop (Windows 7), while it had for a number of years. When looking for iPod in Device Manger is will only show up as Hidden Device with properties saying "Currently, this device in not connected to the computer (Code 45) ." Apple Mobile Device USB driver is up to date. ITunes was reinstalled. I have tried several different connectors and verified that at least one of them has Apple symbol on it. Another newer iPod Nano does sync, but I cannot use its smaller male connection on its cord with this iPod. I have gone through all the suggestions on the "Device not recognized" Knowledge Base. I have not restored the iPod, but am reluctant to do so for rear of making it even less usable. It plays fine. When I plug it into my computer is does charge. I assume that confirms that the cable and device are OK.

Since it is out of warranty, I do not believe that I will get any help at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store, or they will try to sell me a new device. Am I correct?

What else can I do?

Windows 7

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:50 PM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2015 4:43 AM in response to LouisvillePS

Does your computer have Norton AV on it? This seems to be causing issues for non-iOS devices at the moment. If so try temporarily disabling it, reboot and try again.

Otherwise see iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support.

For a classic you want to make sure that the iPod service is running, rather than AMDS.

tt2

Sep 5, 2015 2:05 PM in response to turingtest2

Norton 360 is turned off. This iPod is still not recognized, but is listed in hidden devices, where is says that the device is not connected. Where do I find the iPod Service? Apple Mobile Device is also listed when showing hidden devices and says that it is not connected.

This problem is seen in both my PC and my laptop as explained originally. In summary, the iPod works fine. I have tried multiple cables, multiple USB ports, 2 different computers, 2 different windows operating systems, so it seems that I have isolated the problem to the iPod's ability to connect to the software. When I plug the iPod into the USB, it lights up showing that its cable is connected to power, at least . And I have tried the suggestions in the blue Apple support link above.

What I do not understand is that it worked for years and now it does not sync or be recognized.

What should be the next step? Thanks

Sep 6, 2015 8:31 AM in response to turingtest2

I tried your suggestion another time after having done it yesterday. I then uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes. Still I had no success.

I searched elsewhere on the internet and found another suggestion, which did work. I had seen it a long time ago but did not try it for fear of completely causing an unsolvable problem. Fortunately, I was wrong about that.

I reset both iPods (Classic and 7th generation). The Classic was reset by holding the Menu & Home or center button for 15 seconds until the Apple logo appeared. On the 7th generation I held the top Sleep/Wake button and Home button below the screen for 15 seconds. Both were then recognized by both my PC & my laptop.

Thank you for trying to help me. I also wanted to post the solution to help others that may have the same problem.

iPod not recognized by iTunes or Device Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.