Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music missing from itunes since the last upgrade

I just upgraded to the latest version of Itunes and all of my imported music and playlists are missing. I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine. The music looks like it

all in the Itumes folder but it's not in itunes. How do I get it back?

Thanks

Homemade, Windows Vista, vista 64,

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 4:34 PM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:15 AM in response to kkap

Hello kkap,
I know that it can be annoying when you do not see your content after an update. Those songs are still on your computer and will be able to get them back.
Start with taking a look and the steps below. It will walk you through restoring the iTunes database files that you had before the update. When you do this, it will show everything that iTunes had and you will be good to go.
If you don't see your content after you update iTunes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203225

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Go to the iTunes folder that contains the iTunes library files:
    Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Home. Open the Music folder, then open the iTunes folder.
    Windows: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes\.
  3. Drag the iTunes Library.itl file to your Desktop.
  4. In the iTunes folder, open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.
  5. Find the file named
    iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD where YYYY-MM-DD is the date you updated iTunes (Year-Month-Day).
  6. Copy this file to the iTunes folder (the enclosing folder).
  7. Rename the copied file iTunes Library.
  8. Open iTunes.

You should now see your missing content in iTunes.

Any changes that you made to your library after the date you updated (step 6, above), such as new playlists that you created or songs that you added, might be missing.

Take care

Sep 1, 2015 10:33 PM in response to norm123

HI Norm

Thank you for your reply

Does it change any of the steps you laid out if I rolled iTunes back to the previous version with Windows Restore? iTunes does not open now. I get a message that says "the file 'iTunes library.it' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes".

How do I handle that?

Thanks for your help

kkap

Sep 1, 2015 11:27 PM in response to norm123

Hi Norm,

I followed your instructions up to #6, I left clicked and selected copy, I copied onto the iTunes folder. I renamed the file iTunes Library. But it would only let it by iTunes Library (2). Due to there already being an iTunes library....

This probably sounds stupid, but I am not good with this kind of stuff, but i'm trying!

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Or did I copy it wrong?

Thank you SOOOO much!

Sep 2, 2015 6:28 AM in response to kkap

Hey kkap,
No, it does not change the steps. The error that you are seeing is that the current iTunes library database files was working with a newer version of iTunes. Because you have rolled iTunes back with Windows Restore, you still would need to follow the previous steps to get your library back in working order.
Take care

music missing from itunes since the last upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.