Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I separate music into different libraries?

My wife and I have two separate Apple ID but share the same iTunes library. Is there anyway to separate the music into different libraries -- one for her and one for me?

null-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:15 PM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2015 6:54 AM in response to rcargilljr

Howdy rcargiljr,

It sounds like you want a second iTunes library to use on the same user account. In my opinion, the best way to do this would be to copy the media you want from one library to a folder on either an external hard drive, or a folder somewhere on your computer, then create a new library and import the media to that library. To make sure that everything stays consistent you may want to be sure that iTunes is set to copy media to the iTunes library folder. This will keep things nice and neat as well as making backups of the library easier in the future. To enable this in iTunes go to: iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

1. Create a folder in a location of your choosing. This will temporarily store the media you want to move from the first library to the new one.

2. To copy the media to the folder simply drag the content to the folder you created from the iTunes window. (When you copy media from the first library to the folder you can delete it from that library with the delete key if you wish to remove it from there.)

3. When you have copied all the media to the folder you wish to move, create a new iTunes library where ever you would like with the steps in the following article, Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one.

4. Then Import the media to the new library use this info from the following article:

Do either of the following:

• Drag a file or folder from the desktop to the iTunes window.
    If you add a folder, all the files it contains are added to your library.
  • In iTunes, choose File > Add to Library, locate a file or folder, and click Open.
    If your iTunes library is empty, click the Music icon in the top-left corner, click My Music, then click Scan for Media.

5. Once that is done you can delete the folder you made in step one to free up your hard drive space.

6. The last thing you may need to do is authorize the computer in iTunes, but if you've already done that in the other library you shouldn't have to. Just in case, heres the article about how to do that, Authorize your computer in iTunes.

Every time you want to change from one library to the other, you will have to hold shift (for Windows) and launch iTunes per the instructions in Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

How do I separate music into different libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.