Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Social security number

Hi

I am a international student from Denmark. I am staying here for a year. Actually i went by an Apple store in Santa Barbara to hear the conditions to buy a new iphone to 300$, which is so much cheaper back home in Denmark, where we pay 700-800$. They said i needed a social security number. I just found out that i have a temporary social security number because im a student on Santa Barbara City College. Can i use my temporary SSN to buy a new iPhone?

- William Dannervig 🙂

iPhone 6, null

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 4:34 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Williamdannervig

That's because in order to get that price, you have to sign up for a 2 year service agreement with a US carrier. Doing so requires a credit check, which requires a SSN. You can try, but you'll most likely be refused as you will fail the credit check. The phone is no cheaper in the US than it is anywhere else in the world. The $300 price is being subsidized by the cellular carrier in the US.

Social security number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.