Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no surround sound, only central channel audio output from Itunes12.

Problem seemed to begin after I upgraded macmini to Yosemite and/or upgraded to itunes 12. Previusly had otuput to all three channels. Macmini is connected to Yamaha Aventage amplifier with hdmi cable. Itunes preferences: crossfade, equalizer, all the boxes are unchecked. In previous itunes version I have heard ,on other support sites, that you have to manually select for digital output but that this is not necessary in itunes 11 and higher.

I have already checked digital out in the DVD Player app but can't seem to do that in itunes. Could you help me?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:04 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 6:13 AM in response to docjonnt

Howdy docjonnt,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're trying to get the digital surround sound to function with playing movies in iTunes. To set up iTunes to play with digital surround, please take a look at the information outlined below.

Set up iTunes to play content in surround sound

Movies you purchased or rented from the iTunes Store may have stereo audio and digital surround sound tracks. In iTunes 11 and later, digital surround sound is selected automatically. If you want to experience the digital surround sound, you need to connect your Mac to a home theater receiver using a TOSLINK (optical digital audio) or HDMI cable.

In iTunes, click the Speech Bubble icon to view your audio choices, such as English (Surround). If the surround sound choice is dimmed or the icon doesn't appear, make sure you are using the appropriate hardware and that the content is encoded with digital surround sound.

User uploaded file

Set up iTunes and your DVD Player for digital surround sound - Apple Support

Have a good one.

Sep 2, 2015 9:53 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for replying, Alex. No Speech bubble-- I run iTunes 12.2.2.25. Fairly new Yamaha home theater amplifier. Mac Mini is running latest update of Yosemite. Connected to amp with HDMI cable. Playing at least stereo encoded digital tracks from mini using iTunes exclusively to play them. All tubes either bought from Apple or ripped from my personally owned CDs. I've checked the amp settings: no sound on stereo or 'straight' setting, and only center channel (effectively mono output) when set to surround or 7 channel Stereo. Before the last spate of Apple upgrades, I believe, before I upgraded to Yosemite, I had all three channels.

Any further suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

no surround sound, only central channel audio output from Itunes12.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.