Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iPad 3 wipes out network

I decided to bring my iPad out of the dust and start using it again. I'm trying to update/restore it, but each time it tries, it wipes out the network on my laptop (I've tried my local WiFi and my phone's hotspot), which leads to the update/restore failing. I'm on the step where the iPad is telling me to connect to iTunes. I've tried this multiple times and each time the update causes my network on my laptop to drop after about 3 minutes.

I don't see anyone else with the same issue. Any help?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:07 PM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2015 6:25 PM in response to henryfromwest covina

I've tried this multiple times and each time the update causes my network on my laptop to drop after about 3 minutes.

I don't quite know what you mean by that. Is your laptop losing its connection to the router? If so reboot the router (unplug it for 2 minutes and plug it back in), wait for the router to boot up (another 2-3 m) and then move the laptop closer to the router. Try the restore again. Also might want to check out at least the first article below. Good luck....

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2015 7:05 PM in response to elcpu

Hey elcpu. Yes my laptop is losing connection to the router, and my laptop only. Those 2 posts that you referenced are precisely the steps that I am on - trying to update / restore the iPad with iTunes. After about 3 minutes either updating OR restoring, for some reason my laptop loses its connection to any WiFi I'm connected to which leads the update/restore to fail.

Aug 30, 2015 7:20 PM in response to henryfromwest covina

To me the problem seems to be with the laptop or the router, not the iPad.

Did you try what I recommended, rebooting the router and moving closer to it?

If that does not work try going to a coffee shop and connecting to their network.

If it works there, then there is an issue with your router. If not I would suspect the computer's Wi-Fi configuration.

Good luck....

Aug 30, 2015 7:50 PM in response to henryfromwest covina

It is not unusual for routers to require a reboot from time to time. Power surges, momentary outages, and the like sometimes wreck havoc. In addition either one of the devices (computer or router) could be having hardware issues. Your router could be on the blink (thus my suggestion to try another Wi-Fi), your computer's Wi-Fi card or perhaps the drivers could also be affected. Hard to tell from this end....

Aug 31, 2015 2:18 AM in response to henryfromwest covina

Hi

Turn your Router OFF for 30 seconds

Press & hold power button & menu button down until

You see Apple Logo .

Since ios 7 when you charge an iPhone /iPad

It should backup to iCloud over you wifi

To check last backup or to backup now

Go to iCloud backup on iPad .

Also go to website for make of Router check

For a firmware update .

If your Router is older one ask your ips for a new one.

Cheers

Brian ( UK )

Aug 31, 2015 11:45 AM in response to elcpu

I ended up downloading an ISPW from https://ipsw.me/. I believe it was an internet issue. The huge download side was stressing my network - when I went to download the 1.7GB update on the Laptop itself, my internet did the same did and kept dropping. However, this time I was able to resume my downloads whenever I reconnected, instead of having to start over (as was the case with the update through iTunes). Thanks for all your help

Updating iPad 3 wipes out network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.