Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Retina Early 2015 model flashing color boxes

I've recently purchased an entry-level 13in Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2015) running OSX Yosemite.

I'm a web developer, and have installed various tools since day 1. No problems for 10 days.

On Day 10, I've installed Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC Trial versions - haven't had the chance to use them yet, just opened the apps to check if they're working. Everything seemed fine. On Day 11, while browsing, I've noticed some colored boxes flickering on my screen. They started small, but eventually became large enough to cover the entire display, flashing intermittently, until such time that every time I restart the machine, the color flickers appear on the log-in screen.

It happens while neither Photoshop CC nor Lightroom CC are running, so I never thought of them as the culprits.

Once, while the color boxes are flashing, I removed the cooling pad connected through USB, and the flashing stopped. Didn't take long before the color boxes appeared again. I tried uninstalling Photoshop and Lightroom just in case, didn't work too. Tried,

I immediately took it to the service center as it was still brand new. They couldn't figure out what's causing it, so they reinstalled the factory software. They're now saying that for 5 days of stress tests they haven't encountered the color flashes again.

Now I'm wondering what could've caused those? Anyone else encountered the same thing? I have a bunch of stuff to setup for my work, which all turned out fine, but now I'm hesitant to install Adobe products as those are the only things that I installed last, before I encountered the display glitches.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:15 PM

3 replies

May 20, 2016 2:48 PM in response to mbpuserph

@mbpuserph & @andrescabrera I'm a web developer too and am currently encountering this on my mid 2014 MBPr, I started a thread explaining some of the issues here. I brought my laptop into the Genius bar and had no luck, it passed all test. Did resetting to factory settings work for you?

I also uploaded 2 videos of the screen flicker I'm encountering, you can view them here and here.

MBP Retina Early 2015 model flashing color boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.