Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filenames in Aperture not migrating to Photos

My Aperture filenames don't appear in Photos. Over the years, in Aperture I gave file names (actually Version Name to use Aperture lingo) to each photo through a Batch Change in Aperture where I gave it a Custom Name with Counter and I checked the "Modify Original Files" box in the Batch Change dialog box. After migrating my library to Photos, these filenames don't appear in Photos (yes, I checked Title in View>Metadata menu in Photos). To test this, I created a new small Aperture Library and used Batch Change to rename the images as before, except this time, I did not check the "Modify Original Files" box. I then migrated that new small Aperture Library to Photos and guess what, the file names did appear in Photos. Somehow, the act of clicking "Modify Original Files" causes the Version Name to not transfer to Photos, which seems counter intuitive to me. I've got 80,000 photos and don't want to rename them all. Is there something with Metadata Presets or some other technique in Aperture that I could do to cause the file names that currently exist in Aperture to be recognized in Photos?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:48 PM

I don't think so today. Photos is pretty limited when it comes to the features we expect of a Mac app. It was mainly focused on iOS enablement in the first pass. For now, I would continue to maintain a separate Aperture library and wait for these kinds of enhancements to come in future versions of Photos. Apple is opening Photos to extensions if you believe the press with El Capitan so hopefully it won't be a long wait. For now I use Aperture as my main library and just put what I want to share easily in Photos as duplicates (which is a whole other future issue in itself).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 6:48 PM in response to NMJones

I don't think so today. Photos is pretty limited when it comes to the features we expect of a Mac app. It was mainly focused on iOS enablement in the first pass. For now, I would continue to maintain a separate Aperture library and wait for these kinds of enhancements to come in future versions of Photos. Apple is opening Photos to extensions if you believe the press with El Capitan so hopefully it won't be a long wait. For now I use Aperture as my main library and just put what I want to share easily in Photos as duplicates (which is a whole other future issue in itself).

Filenames in Aperture not migrating to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.