Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I uninstall windows without deactivating the license key, will I still be able to use the same license key when windows is reinstalled?

When uninstalling windows, does the license key deactivate itself in the process?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 6:52 PM

2 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Zxc0

Zxc0 wrote:

When uninstalling windows, does the license key deactivate itself in the process?

No, it does not. If Windows is re-installed and re-activated without any hardware changes, the signature is the same as the previously activated license and it is verified on subsequent activations. If the signature does not match (for example you replaced disk drive before the second activation), you will end up calling M$ over the phone and deal with an IVR to get it working again (or the specific method for your country). W10 can be re-installed on the same hardware as many times as you like, provided it was originally activated on the same hardware signature.

If I uninstall windows without deactivating the license key, will I still be able to use the same license key when windows is reinstalled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.