Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.5 killing performance and battery A1369

Ever since performing the 10.10.5 update to my 2011 Macbook Air the performance has become noticeably worse. It computer is much more laggy, 3 finger swipe between programs used to fast and seamless now it sticks. Loading webpages NEVER made pandora skip...now it does on occasion (60mb connection running on Safari 8.0.8). The fan is running much more often, computer is getting hot, and obviously with all this increase heat the computer is consuming more power. I replaced the battery back in April hoping to get a few more years out of the computer because it has been great so far, the new battery was lasting a solid 6-7 hours no problem. Now, I'm lucky to see 4, god forbid I use chrome and chromecast anything, that'll drop it down to 2.5. Was 10.10.5 apple's planned obsolescence for the older MBA's?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 8:55 PM

11 replies

Aug 31, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes Linc, I'm well aware that apps affect performance. I'm not doing anything different which is why I started this discussion. The ONLY change was the 10.10.5 update. I regularly us activity monitor, the apps it shows are having the main affect on the battery are Safari (#1) and Chrome (#2) if I'm using it. I typically rarely use chrome because of its typical higher resource and energy consumption than Safari. I only use it for chromecast now, however before 10.10.5 I could cast a full 42min show from hulu or netflix and only drop maybe 15% battery 20% at most. Now it has been dropping at least 50% over the same length of show. As for what activity monitor shows is using the CPU, again primarily Safari or Chrome windows. However kernel_task (root) is quite high with a large number of idle wake ups and Windowserver (_windowserver) is also high on the CPU run time and usage. Typically the only apps I'll have running at any given time are only Safari and YNAB. That's it...and I try to close out of tabs in Safari now too as it does help. However, in the past I could have 10-15 tabs open in Safari with no issue (where chrome would have noticeable effects), now it seems like I need to keep it down to 3 at most. Its pathetic.

Again, I did the PRAM reset last night, re-did it again today after the SMC reset, hopefully that helps.

Aug 31, 2015 3:46 PM in response to throwaway12

Was 10.10.5 apple's planned obsolescence for the older MBA's?

The latest Yosemite release runs well on this 2011 MBA, faster than any previous OS X release, quantifiably so, using its original battery. Therefore the answer to that particular question is no.

Apple guarantees their work so if you have reason to believe the replacement battery is the cause of the problem, have them evaluate it.

Aug 31, 2015 4:27 PM in response to John Galt

Battery was replaced in March, it has been fantastic up until a couple days ago when updating to 10.10.5. No reason to believe it is the battery. SO FAR after reseting the SMC and PRAM it seems a little bit better. At 60% right now just under 2 hours on the battery so still not fantastic, but better. There was a small short charge in there too. Seems to still struggle a bit with more heat than normal when streaming videos in 1080. We'll see how it does with casting a show later, hopefully better.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aug 31, 2015 5:37 PM in response to throwaway12

I have no answers, no advice, but you've described my recent experience with my early 2011 13 inch MacBook Air. You've described it a T, write down to the short battery life. I'm still on the old battery. It used to give me about 7 hours, now I'm lucky to get 4. I only use the thing when I travel 3-4 times a year, or once in a while in the house, but I can't have "worn anything out." Maybe time does that. And yes, things have become "sticky" and slow to respond. Can one blame this on 10.10.5? I've always love the machine. It's a disappointment to have this situation. I entered the room today to seek advice on what I called a sticky track pad or..........the screen simply no longer moves smoothly with my fingers. It does with the arrow keys.

Aug 31, 2015 8:32 PM in response to throwaway12

Well, it didn't really get much better with chrome/chromecast, as you can see for some reason there is a major power drain when this is running. Before you say it, no, this did not happen before. Of course it would suck the power down more quickly. Maybe this is more google's issue since the update, but even still battery consumption is certainly higher on 10.10.5 than it was on 10.10.4; especially any time video is being streamed, regardless of browser. Better since the reset, but some element in the code doesn't seem like its quite right.

User uploaded file

Aug 31, 2015 8:58 PM in response to throwaway12

A

"CleanMyMac" is a scam and a common cause of instability and poor performance. Depending on what version you have, the developer's instructions may not completely remove it. Follow those instructions, then do as below.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder may open with an item selected. If it does, move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Repeat with this line:

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

You may also have to remove one or more of these items in the same way:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.volumeWatcher.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Scheduler.plist

Never again install "CleanMyMac" or anything like it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

If the problem isn't solved, continue.

B

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Aug 31, 2015 11:55 PM in response to throwaway12

That screenshot the first mention of you having used CleanMyMac 3. Get rid of it.

The effects of actually having used it to do anything in particular are another matter altogether. Depending on exactly what you did with it, erasing that Mac and restoring your essential software and files from a backup may be the most expedient solution. Read below.

To remove CleanMyMac 3 itself, use its Uninstaller module, followed by these additional steps:

Remove the file ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Scheduler.plist

• To navigate to that file, copy and paste the following line into the Finder's Go menu > Go To Folder...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/

Locate the following file and drag it to the Trash:

com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Scheduler.plist

• Then, open  (Apple menu) > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items.
  • Select the item CleanMyMac3 Menu
  • Click the [—] (minus) button.
  • Restart your Mac.

Beware that reinstalling OS X alone will have no effect on either removing CleanMyMac or reversing the damage it is capable of inflicting upon a system. To recover from the effects of having used it to modify OS X, the additional software you require and the essential files you may need follow the applicable recovery procedure below:

• If you have a backup that you created prior to using CleanMyMac, now is the time to use it. For Time Machine, boot OS X Recovery, and at the Mac OS X Utilities screen, choose Restore from Time Machine Backup. Choose a date preceding the installation of CleanMyMac.
  • If you do not have a backup that predates the use of CleanMyMac, create one now. To do that read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac.
    • The recovery procedure will require that you erase the Mac using OS X Recovery, and then create a new user whose contents will be empty. You will then be able to use Setup Assistant to migrate your essential documents including photos, music, work products and other essential files.
    • When doing so, select only your previous User account and do not select "Applications", "Computer and Network Settings" or "Other files and folders". De-select those choices.
    • Subsequent to using Setup Assistant, you will need to reinstall the essential software you may require, once again remembering to install software only from their original sources, and omitting all non-essential software.
    • "Non-essential software" is a broad category that includes but is not limited to third party "cleaning", "maintenance", and "anti-virus" products.

To erase and install Yosemite read: OS X Yosemite: Erase and reinstall OS X

To migrate your essential documents read: OS X Yosemite: Transfer your info from a computer or storage device and follow the procedure under Transfer info from a Time Machine backup or other storage device.

Sep 1, 2015 12:05 AM in response to throwaway12

throwaway12 wrote:

Well, it didn't really get much better with chrome/chromecast, as you can see for some reason there is a major power drain when this is running. Before you say it, no, this did not happen before.

Google installs a number of OS X modifications that continuously operate at a privileged level, and are updated automatically without your explicit permission. That means your Mac may spontaneously begin to perform poorly, with no apparent intervention on your part.

Performance degradation resulting from using Google products is commonly reported on this site and elsewhere. Read http://betanews.com/2015/08/06/dump-google-chrome-to-extend-your-macbooks-batter y-life/ for one of many such reports regarding Google Chrome.

Google has yet to demonstrate the ability or apparent desire to write efficient OS X apps. If you are required to use Google products, expect a very limited useful economic life from your hardware investment.

10.10.5 killing performance and battery A1369

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.