Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook crashes on iPhone

For no apparent reason, 3 days ago Facebook started quitting every time I go into it on my iPhone.

I have tried the following trouble-shooting steps....but none of these have helped...

1/ I updated to iOS 8.4.1 and to the latest version of the Facebook app in the APP Store.

2/ Turning my iPhone off/on.

2/ Doing a hard reset.

4/ Closing all Apps.

5/ Deleting the Facebook app off my phone and reloading it from the APP Store.

Nothing has helped.

When I try to go into Facebook it shows on the screen for a second and then disappears. Occasionally it comes up with a message saying "No story to show, Retry" but even this disappears. All is working good on my MacBook, it's just an issue with my phone. I use it often during the day for work so this is really frustrating.

Can anyone help me please? Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1, Facebook crash

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 9:18 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Caroleeena2

I'm having exactly the same problem on my iPhone 6 with 64 GB. Uninstalling actually helped (one of the times I reinstalled) for a day or so, but then the problem returned. The app crashes, but remains "open". Double clicking on the home button shows it among other open apps even after the crash. Closing by swiping up doesn't help, it crashes the next time you open it. The problem actually stopped for a while, then returned unexplainably. Perhaps du to an auto installed update to the Facebook app.

The problem is only with the Facebook app, lates versions. No other apps seem to be affected.

The problem arose at some point soon after I upgraded in July to Yosemite (OS 10.10.5) i on my Mac, transfered my photos from iPhoto to Photos and activated iCloud Photo Library on both the Mac and the iPhone. Later I deactivated My Photo Stream since I don't need that, but I don't know if that affected the problem. Don't think so. I have a very large photo library, about 75 gb, which means that my photo library on the iphone is low resolution now.

The workaround that actually works is disallowing the app access to Photos: Settings->Facebook->Settings-> and turning off access to Photos. So I suspect that the the problem is du to iCloud Photo Library, but I haven't troubleshooted that beyond just turning off access to Photos.

The alternative that works is the app Friendly. Acceptable, but I prefer the official app.

Oct 4, 2015 11:24 PM in response to cforoe

Yes, looks like there is currently an issue with the facebook App accessing photos on iPhone 6.

Was fine up until a few days ago; and I've never had this issue before - have had iPhones since the beginning.

I had the exact same issue as you and tried everything to rectify.

Denying facebook access to my photos has rectified the problem for now.

Sadly, facebook is not much of an App without the ability to share photos so I hope SOMEONE sorts this out ASAP.

Facebook crashes on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.