Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook air won't load past a grey screen

Hi guys about one week ago was when I used my air most recently. I turned my air on today and when I click my account it i type my password and then it takes me to a grey screen with a loading bar and loads barely anything on the bar and then my computer just shuts down. Tried multiple times. When I log into the guest account it works fine I can browse the internet as normal. I tried some test thing were it searched my computer for about an hour and then said no problems were found. I don't use time machine or have any back ups from what I know of. If I somehow have to wipe the computer clean is there anyway I can pull the information off my computer and save it all to an external hd? (Even though I cant actually log into my account Where the info is stored)

P.S. Not sure which OSX I am on if that matters.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:31 PM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Iusedoom

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

My MacBook air won't load past a grey screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.