Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Text/Video in FCP 7 is blurry AFTER render (and export)

Dear god, I've searched every single online forum I can, and googled for hours.

No answers for my exact problem... 😟

Trying to give all info for this question:

Using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 (I know it's old, but it's all I've got)

Footage filmed on a Flip Video - 1280 x 720

So I successfully edited a full video: it displays CRISP is Canvas. Also CRISP after export.

I opened the same .fcp file and added a "NEW PROJECT" (tab) so I could utilize some of the same files (copy/paste from one sequence to another).

When I dropped Flip Video footage in my FIRST sequence, it asked if I wanted to auto-change settings to match video - YES!

It never asked me this on my SECOND sequence (I assumed it was already set the same).

Halfway through completion, I realized it WASN'T set the same!!

(Side question: Is there a way to make sure settings are correct from get-go - why did it ask me the first time, and not the 2nd time?)

So I had to set all the settings to match (changed sequence settings to 1280x720, re-sized my video to 100%, and changed distort ratio to fit correctly).

After changing those 3 things... Everything looked GREAT again! Very CRISP in Canvas. Just like my FIRST video.

But AFTER I rendered the whole video - now it looks TERRIBLE and blurry.

At first I thought it was just the TEXT - but it also made the VIDEO blurry as well.

To answer the obvious question: NO, it's not just my Canvas view - I have tried to export (using same export settings as before).

And the exported video is blurry too. It matches what I see in blurry Canvas.

So my EXPORT SETTINGS don't matter, but in case you want to know anyways:

Export Using QuickTime Conversion:

* Compression: H.264

* Quality: High
* Frame rate: 30

* Bitrate: 5000 kbits/sec

* Frame reordering: yes

* Encoding mode: multi-pass

* Dimensions: 1280x720

But the problem isn't my export, it's my RENDER - I'm sure of it.

If I move things around (which means I would need to re-render...) then everything is CRISP AGAIN! (in my Canvas)

But once I render - BLURRY!!! (in my Canvas)

Here are my RENDER CONTROL SETTINGS (which match my FIRST sequence's video settings exactly):

Render & Playback

* Filters - checked

* Frame Blending For Speed - checked

Render

* Frame Rate: 100%

* Resolution: 100%

* Codec: Same as Sequence Codec (I've also tried rendering after selecting: Apple ProRes 422 - same result)

Master Templates and Motion Projects

* Quality: Normal (also tried: Best - same result)

* Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies - NOT checked (also tried CLICKED - same result)

On the Sequence drop-down menu, under

* Render Selection: ALL options are checked, except Audio>Item Level.

* Render All: ALL options are checked, except Audio>Item Level.

* Render Only: NO options are checked.

I don't have ANY filters on either the video or the text.

All my TEXT have different settings, so I can't give you those - but NONE are crisp. And they're all the same as FIRST video.

But also, my VIDEO (and imported pictures) are blurry also - so it's NOT my TEXT settings.

One last detail, when I double-click on ANY item (video, text, or imported photo), they are CRISP in the Viewer window.

While at the same time, NOT CRISP in my Canvas. And just to re-iterate, after export, still blurry - so it's not my export.

Can anyone help me pleeeeeeeeeeeease??

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 10:00 PM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Grand NOBLE

What you have not told us in that long post is what CODEC your original footage is, nor what your sequence settings are.

Step 1: Convert your footage to an FCP codec. FCP doesn't work with the native format the FLIP camera shoots. You need to convert the footage to ProRes 422, 1280x720...and matching frame rate.

Step 2: Make sure that the Sequence settings match the clip settings...meaning ProRes 422. If you drop footage into the timeline, and need to render, that's a big clue that something isn't right. You should never need to do that. If you drop footage into the sequence, and it says "Do you want the settings to match," and you click yes, and STILL need to render...yes...something major is wrong. In this case, your footage is not in a codec FCP works with.

Even if your sequence settings are ProRes, if your footage is not, you can have issues. If your sequence is also a different dimension, say 740x480...then it will look bad. that's an SD size.

My Text/Video in FCP 7 is blurry AFTER render (and export)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.